Author Topic: 2014 bow trade works in progress  (Read 237911 times)

Offline rps3

Re: 2014 bow trade works in progress
« Reply #390 on: February 27, 2014, 02:53:29 pm »
I would feel more teased if I knew what that was. Looks cool. Is it rawhide?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #391 on: February 27, 2014, 03:04:57 pm »
Rawhide with leather dye pattern on it.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rps3

« Reply #392 on: February 27, 2014, 04:17:13 pm »
I have never used rawhide. That has a good look to it.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #393 on: February 27, 2014, 09:20:24 pm »
Have quite a few ideas milling about,only problem is my drawknife is frozen to my work bench!I'm wanting to see a robin. Soon!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #394 on: February 27, 2014, 09:24:05 pm »
You know here in Ohio we are seeing flocks of robins for some reason. And it is way below normal temps.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #395 on: February 28, 2014, 12:57:45 am »
Got mine on the long string today, I'm debating whether to back it with sinew or yucca, it's 55" long so for the draw length I need it's long enough that the sinew wouldn't be working that hard, I've kinda got 2 options I can shorten it 2-4", put some setback in the handle and sinew it, or I can leave it the way it is and put yucca on it. What do you guys think, Would you rather have a an Osage and sinew or Osage and yuccu? Either way I might put some prairie rattler skins on it.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #396 on: February 28, 2014, 08:20:29 am »
You know here in Ohio we are seeing flocks of robins for some reason. And it is way below normal temps.

I saw three of the fatest robins i ever saw two days ago. They. were hanging out under the bushes outside of McDonalds. Was only 22 deg.
Steve Bennett

Offline DuBois

« Reply #397 on: February 28, 2014, 10:31:03 am »
Cool pattern on the hide Pat! Somebody's gonna be cheesin in the photos.

I haven't seen anything but crows, bluejays, and little birds on the feeder my wife puts out. -17 this am.

Doing all I can inside with the buckthorn and think I will sinew it after all and try to pull it into some good reflex.

Removed overlays on mulberry and reglued them back with lock tite and got a better glue line.

Workin on a couple other bows too. One a redo of a hickory with sinew and the other a short sinewed HHB.

Can't finish much anyway with all the cold cause of fumes in the house.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #398 on: February 28, 2014, 10:49:09 am »
I haven't been in my shop in over a week! I get outta work at basically midnight and it's so cold out. I keep telling myself to get out there and then when I get home I'm like forget that. I do have a gameplan on my bow, gonna get it on the long string and get it braced then take it to like 20" draw. Once it's bending nice ill heat my reflex in and treat the belly. Should be sweet
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline skarhand

« Reply #399 on: February 28, 2014, 02:06:44 pm »
Woohoo. Last weekend I was able to make it to a place called Bristol Valley Hardwoods and get some great pieces of wood. 24' of 1x5.5 arrow straight grained ipe should make me a lot of nice bows including my trade one. I also got a beautiful piece of ash to back it with.

Now if only I could get some weather I could work with, lol. High of 19° today and 15° tomorrow. Oh well, more time to think of ideas to try on it, lol.

Protect yourself from the dust, I developed an allergy over time!

I always wear a mask when I sand/saw...I got tired of all the saw dust boogers, LOL.

I have a picture of myself (possibly the only "selfie" I have ever taken) of me wearing 2 long sleeve tee's, a flannel jacket, and a cinched up hoodie, with a dust mask, trying to work in the cold garage...I look like someone from a B serial killer movie, LOL.

Offline skarhand

« Reply #400 on: February 28, 2014, 02:09:45 pm »
I would feel more teased if I knew what that was. Looks cool. Is it rawhide?

My first guess was orange peel. Has anyone tried an orange peel backed bow? Terrible in tension, but they smell really fresh.

Rawhide probably a better option. Good call Pat B. LOL

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #401 on: February 28, 2014, 02:43:29 pm »
Woohoo. Last weekend I was able to make it to a place called Bristol Valley Hardwoods and get some great pieces of wood. 24' of 1x5.5 arrow straight grained ipe should make me a lot of nice bows including my trade one. I also got a beautiful piece of ash to back it with.

Now if only I could get some weather I could work with, lol. High of 19° today and 15° tomorrow. Oh well, more time to think of ideas to try on it, lol.

Protect yourself from the dust, I developed an allergy over time!

I always wear a mask when I sand/saw...I got tired of all the saw dust boogers, LOL.

I have a picture of myself (possibly the only "selfie" I have ever taken) of me wearing 2 long sleeve tee's, a flannel jacket, and a cinched up hoodie, with a dust mask, trying to work in the cold garage...I look like someone from a B serial killer movie, LOL.

sawdust boogers are the best, that ipe will make em look like chocolate.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #402 on: February 28, 2014, 02:47:34 pm »
I got my plan a all straightened out last night.  I might not flip the tips,  just a bit of reflex maybe a couple inches.   :). If it turns out it will be very hard to let go.

Offline bubby

« Reply #403 on: February 28, 2014, 03:01:42 pm »
wow I wonder if I should get started ::) :laugh:, got a few irons in the fire I have to finish first
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #404 on: March 02, 2014, 03:55:42 pm »
ttt
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on