Author Topic: 2014 bow trade works in progress  (Read 237976 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: 2014 bow trade works in progress
« Reply #900 on: June 23, 2014, 12:27:22 pm »
That's looking great man.  I'm glad they are working for ya.  I love the look of the bull snakes.  We have a ton out here.  I don't like to kill the, so they are road kill.  Still wiggling road kill  :)

Offline DGF

« Reply #901 on: June 23, 2014, 04:11:45 pm »
I got my first option tillered out yesterday but came in under weight. I started off with a bit of scorch on the back of this one after I took it off the caul and decided to chase down a couple rings to clean it up. That already put me starting with less meat then I had wanted. To top it off it started off a bit hingy at the fades By the time I had her bending a bit better I'd allready lost more weight then I'm willing to send out. The positive note, my wife will probably end up with her first self bow in time for the Elm Hall shoot coming up in the near future.

I've got more in progress I'll start getting gangbuster on starting after lunch.  ;)

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #902 on: June 23, 2014, 04:19:51 pm »
Im disappointed Dan-o. Poor effort at best........Drew taught you better than that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #903 on: June 23, 2014, 04:31:36 pm »
Focus Danielson, and nail the next one!  ;)
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #904 on: June 23, 2014, 05:29:56 pm »
He acts like he has a set of twin boys on his azz all the time or something. Poor excuse. My sister has twin girls and I have no problem with them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DGF

« Reply #905 on: June 23, 2014, 09:06:34 pm »
I'm already on it.  :) A couple minor setbacks but I'm covered in shavings and dust as we speak.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #906 on: June 23, 2014, 10:41:12 pm »
Need a little help on this one guys; 59 1/4" t2t, slightly bendy handle american flat bow with some character being tillered to a little under 24" as of now heading up a few inches more with a 55# draw.
I feel that this bow is coming along fine but im having trouble desciding how the tiller looks. Maybe the right outer limb needs to bend some more? any help is apreciated
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #907 on: June 23, 2014, 11:15:52 pm »
Both outer limbs look a little stiff to me, the right a little more than the left.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #908 on: June 24, 2014, 12:01:48 am »
My eyes for tillering aren't trained well enough to be offering much advice but I can tell you it's at this stage that I have to be very careful with wood removal and I have to put a lot of trust in my tillering gizmo because it tells stories that I fail to see. Go slowly and carefully remove wood only where the pencil marks are. I use a sanding block with 50 grit to blend the scraped areas into the other parts of the limb.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #909 on: June 24, 2014, 07:14:36 am »
NeolithicMan, you need to get those midlimbs bending a lot more. How much draw weight, or inches, do you have left to spare? I think you may come in light weight on this one...
The left limb is nearly hinged close to the handle fade. The right limb is nearly hinged about 8" from the handle. I would not be happy to send a bow with that tiller out to someone. Although I should also say I haven't seen an unbraced pic of that bow. If the bow is deflexed in those hinged areas, you might be good. And what does the front profile look like?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #910 on: June 24, 2014, 12:09:53 pm »
if anyone wants tiller advice be sure you include unbraced and front profile.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
re
« Reply #911 on: June 26, 2014, 10:40:21 pm »
just checking in, Heat treated my trade bow last weekend. Gonna start tillering tomorrow evening. Oh and never got any info about my recipient other than a name.
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline DuBois

« Reply #912 on: June 27, 2014, 12:36:31 am »
Will post mulberry with splinter repair on other posting. That makes a complete set of 3 light bows for my 3 sisters but I still have some nephews and nieces to go  ::) ::) ;)

Here's the next one.
69" n-n ERC with not one knot. All sapwood but the handle. I know I was not gonna back any for a while but since it is a trade candidate and ERC, it will be getting rawhide. American Longbow hopefully.

Also got a honey locust stave roughed out and heat corrected today.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
re
« Reply #913 on: July 01, 2014, 11:29:56 pm »
My trade bow is now tillered and shot in. Working on staining and sealing. Then the Handle and cosmetics. Hope to get it shipped off by this next upcoming monday.
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline bubby

« Reply #914 on: July 02, 2014, 12:50:43 am »
Hang in there dubes you'll get it
Good job ink
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹