Author Topic: 2014 bow trade works in progress  (Read 231758 times)

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
Re: 2014 bow trade works in progress
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2014, 03:29:46 pm »
I think next bow trade everyone should snap a pic of all the bows they own and post somewhere so we can try to give 'em something new. just a thought.

Worked on a BL stave today, got it almost all down to one ring. made me miss working sassafras and hickory! wrists are hurting pretty good from this one!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2014, 03:49:34 pm »
Well that answers my question. Thanks for the input fellas! Fence post bow will be plan A, plan B will be a laminate recurve. I've got 3 other bows i'm in the middle of. Once those are out the door, i'll start on the trade bow.

I agree with you Ink!! Whoever pulled my name, just make whatever you like and would shoot. I'll be happy with whatever I get!!!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2014, 05:05:03 pm »
I know I dont post on here much. so to make this easy on whoever pulled my name. Just make whatever you are best at making. I like all kinds of bows, so just send something that you would shoot.

Ink really has that Primitive Archer attitude figured out, don't he?

Is there anyone left that did not receive the full information for their intended victim?  If so, drop me a private message!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline autologus

« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2014, 05:10:55 pm »
I will be one to say that anything will please me, If someone took the time to make me something I would be proud of it even if it is just a stick with a string on it.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2014, 05:41:09 pm »
X2 . Grady . As long as they pour there heart into making it . It is all good.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2014, 05:50:27 pm »
Worked on back up stave today,hic backed cherry. got it floor tillered but now wondering if the hic back might over power the cherry. anybody else do a cherry hic, or have a backing over do the core? Symptoms i should look for?
laugh. its good for ya

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2014, 06:35:37 pm »
Well did some work today......removing some wood.  Picked a crepe mrytle stave.

Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2014, 06:48:28 pm »
man your lucky that you can go outside to work on your bow, right now it's -1 outside and it's dropping again, it
was -13 this morning. i went through my stash this morning and it looks like i've got a set of osage billets from cippy and a few ash staves, and some black locust, i've also got some osage that a buddy pulled out of his brothers wood pile, he said this log has been laying on the ground for 7 or 8 years and now i've had it for 2 so i'm thinkin it's maybe about time to make this hunk of gold into a bow. anyways i think i'm gonna start with the ash i cut it 11 months ago and roughed it out last summer so it's probably fairly dry.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2014, 06:53:43 pm »
Well did some work today......removing some wood.  Picked a crepe mrytle stave.

i want to try crepe myrtle, its all over the place here but its all city property.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2014, 07:29:08 pm »
awesome selection in wood beetle. Was just eyeballing some the other day. dont think my neighbor would like me pruning his tree though. May need to do a night raid to get it  >:D
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2014, 08:27:59 pm »
If you ared planning on raiding the city park for bow wood, be sure to wear all the necessary safety gear including one of those lime green reflective vests.  Then have two other guys dressed the same, but make sure neither one of them is working in any capacity whatsoever. 

NOBODY will think it is anything but their tax dollars at work.   >:D

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2014, 09:18:23 pm »
hahaha JW.......yep it was 74 here today................got out and soaked up some sun.  I am leaving the slight s shape to it.......it will work out to be perfect center shot.  I had originally laid this out as a stiff handle a while back, but for my guy it will be a bendy handle, 63" long now.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2014, 09:19:55 pm »
If you ared planning on raiding the city park for bow wood, be sure to wear all the necessary safety gear including one of those lime green reflective vests.  Then have two other guys dressed the same, but make sure neither one of them is working in any capacity whatsoever. 

NOBODY will think it is anything but their tax dollars at work.   >:D

for some reason you sound like you have experiance with this? :o ;D
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline DuBois

« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2014, 09:51:45 pm »
Man I am Jel-Us of that weather. Been hovering around zero here for a while now. Had numb toes by the time this was hacked out.
62" t-t rhamnus cathartica (buckthorn) with 1.5" natural reflex. 
Came from a 3" sapling that I cut last spring and left bark on. I stuck it in the shower for about a minute and let it sit for about 5 more and the outher bark started to peel itself off.
After that I rubbed off the inner bark with a leather glove with. It was kinda like tough dark corn silk.

Took it in the shower with me and a stiff brush and got off the rest of the debris. Hope my victim doesn't feel violated  ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2014, 10:05:55 pm »
I think I thee a buckthorn buck thlayer in thomeoneth future!