Author Topic: 2014 bow trade works in progress  (Read 237962 times)

Offline tetaxidermy

Re: 2014 bow trade works in progress
« Reply #465 on: March 13, 2014, 06:20:47 am »
Working slowly at it, got bow roughed out, should have it on the long string this weekend.
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #466 on: March 13, 2014, 06:18:13 pm »
got a bit done,&now its gettn warmer i can work on em more!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #467 on: March 13, 2014, 06:52:09 pm »
I've got the floppy rest and hemp handle wrap on and sealed with epoxy, 6 coats of Tru-Oil plus satin poly spray. I need to put a few more arrows through her and so far she still holds good reflex.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DuBois

« Reply #468 on: March 14, 2014, 01:53:48 am »
waiting...
waiting...
sinew looks cool on bow but waiting...

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #469 on: March 14, 2014, 08:42:55 am »
Hey Marco, I'm wondering, is that sinew back bow your making buckthorn?  If so I'll be curious to see how it performs with the sinew. I know the stuff is very light in mass but strong in compression so I would think thats a good combo.
Never sinewed a bow myself yet and a lot I don't know about it so I'm watching this one.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #470 on: March 14, 2014, 09:42:27 am »
So what ever happened to huismes bow? Didn't it get mailed out like a week or so ago?

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #471 on: March 14, 2014, 09:47:55 am »
Yes it did.

>:D
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #472 on: March 14, 2014, 10:58:05 am »
Why dont ya go ahead and get started on another one, I could use a good example for a BL bow!  >:D :laugh:
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline rps3

« Reply #473 on: March 14, 2014, 11:09:52 am »
3 contenders all shooting now. The one I most wanted to work out did. I just don't want to send it out yet. Soon.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #474 on: March 14, 2014, 01:01:59 pm »
3 contenders all shooting now. The one I most wanted to work out did. I just don't want to send it out yet. Soon.

Feeling a little regret when you consider sending it off, eh?  That is a good sign, means it meets or exceeds your expectations.  And folks, that is kinda what this is all about...pushing yourself, giving your best, paying it forward with no expectation of recompense! 

Love it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #475 on: March 14, 2014, 02:25:58 pm »
Hey Marco, I'm wondering, is that sinew back bow your making buckthorn?  If so I'll be curious to see how it performs with the sinew. I know the stuff is very light in mass but strong in compression so I would think thats a good combo.
Never sinewed a bow myself yet and a lot I don't know about it so I'm watching this one.
Yes it is.
Decrowned sapling about 3" diameter. I sure hope I can prove it is a good combo cause I agree, it seems light and like they would be sweet together. We will see  ;)

I hear ya JW. I look at the ones I am working on and if they turn out they will be hard to mail out. Don't want to send out no junk fer sure.

Sounds like everybody's got some nice stuff workin  >:D

Offline rps3

« Reply #476 on: March 14, 2014, 03:04:05 pm »
You got it JW, but I will be pleased to send it as soon as I let my buddy fling a few arrows with it... and maybe a few more for me too.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #477 on: March 14, 2014, 03:13:43 pm »
8) I'll guarantee you all, this is going to be a long road and thread before it's over. For you guys that are almost or already done I'd like to thank you for your inspiration (since I'm so old and ssalow).
I'm still leaning toward an osage sleeve T/D. Think I just purchased an old rack of ebony and ivory piano keys made back in 1909. Should have some nice 3 to 5 layer overlays to add to my victims demise.

GREAT FIND!

EDIT: That is really a good find. If you cut up the keys into guitar saddles, the saddles are worth around 30 bucks a piece. So say you get 4 saddles a key (which you could probably get more), that is 6240.00 bucks, that is if you pieced em out for 30 a piece. Although I don't think you can sell pre-ban ivory legally without papers. Great find though. I would take a couple keys for guitar saddles and nuts if you are wanting to trade or anything...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:19:46 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #478 on: March 14, 2014, 08:03:58 pm »
TMK, I couldn't get on the road to pick up the keys and the guy wouldn't ship them so I missed out :(

On a good note I'm finally making some progress on the trade bow option.. I took the wood down to good growth rings thinking I had gotten a matched set of billets but that proved not to be the case. Stature of the billets that I showed in an earlier post looked identical side by side and really amazed me that they weren't a match. They may have come from the same tree although I can't say for sure but the growth ring structure is completely different. One with tight rings and the other medium. It's still going to make a bow though not sure if it will be trade bow material.

Getting ready to splice it together before proceeding to the next stage. Nice looking old yeller wood.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #479 on: March 14, 2014, 08:39:41 pm »
have afew ideas going on,just wating for it to warm up a bit so I can get going!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.