Author Topic: vice, bowmaking, workbenches  (Read 14214 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: vice, bowmaking, workbenches
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 09:55:01 am »
Cool Del, I see my trade bow is coming allong nicely  ;) I can hardly wait.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:22:50 pm by DuBois »

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 09:59:09 am »
Another way to get the weight up on a bench I put a couple bags of ready mix concrete on the bottom shelf you could use mortar mix too. The bags are usually 80 lbs. if you built another shelf on top of those, presto.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 10:32:37 am »
adb: That is so simple and awesome! I saw that and slapped my forehead with a "DUH" that is a great way to move around a bow and get any angle you need to work at. gotta do that this spring or summer
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 10:48:49 am »
I like that set up you got there Del and adb, I like that as well. I gotta revise my shop this spring.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:23:11 pm by DuBois »

Don Case

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 01:52:03 pm »
I don't use a workbench for bow making or tillering. I have a work bench, but for tillering, I made a pedestal vice.

How deeply(and how) did you anchor that into the concrete? I had a grinder on a pedestal and it broke the concrete.
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 01:54:18 pm »
I doubt you'll be able to secure a bow working bench with just weight. I built my bench and bolted it into the block wall of my basement and already pulled a bolt out and loosened the others removing bark and sapwood from osage staves.  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 01:59:38 pm »
I doubt you'll be able to secure a bow working bench with just weight. I built my bench and bolted it into the block wall of my basement and already pulled a bolt out and loosened the others removing bark and sapwood from osage staves.  :o
but....... thats osage....
lol
Most of this work will be ERC.
Thanks for the heads up.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

mikekeswick

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 02:17:33 pm »
The post mounted vice is a great set-up.
As for a normal bench/vice weight is obviously useful but if you build plenty of triangles into the design, bolt it to the loor on all four legs and also if possible position it in the corner of the building so that you can also bolt it to the walls, side and back with angle brackets and good expansion bolts....that sucker just isn't moving.
When you are roughing stuff out with a drawknife you need to be illiminating any chance of 'play' devolping from the get go.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 08:48:51 pm »
Adam, can you come clean my shop for me? ;D
Del, I'll check the vices I have  to see if they are #1 and/ or #2

Squirrelslinger : I know you have the vice already, I was just saying the materials for a shave horse will cost  around $40   likely less than what you will pay for the material for a bench. Your call , of course.  Building a sturdy work bench that will hold up to the sideways stress of using a draw knife  can be a lot of work . Bolting it to the wall is the best suggestion. I have one bench bolted to the wall , and the  other  doubles as an out feed for the tablesaw. The saw it's bolted to weighs about 700lbs, so it's not moving. Adjustable legs are very helpful especially on concrete floors. Otherwise you will be shimming  but I've always found the damn things move eventually.
  Good luck on what ever you choose. Let us know. You've had lots of good suggestions.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 09:31:11 pm »
Adam, can you come clean my shop for me? ;D
Del, I'll check the vices I have  to see if they are #1 and/ or #2

Squirrelslinger : I know you have the vice already, I was just saying the materials for a shave horse will cost  around $40   likely less than what you will pay for the material for a bench. Your call , of course.  Building a sturdy work bench that will hold up to the sideways stress of using a draw knife  can be a lot of work . Bolting it to the wall is the best suggestion. I have one bench bolted to the wall , and the  other  doubles as an out feed for the tablesaw. The saw it's bolted to weighs about 700lbs, so it's not moving. Adjustable legs are very helpful especially on concrete floors. Otherwise you will be shimming  but I've always found the damn things move eventually.
  Good luck on what ever you choose. Let us know. You've had lots of good suggestions.
I see your point. I appreciate the advice.
I thought you thought that I had not bought the vice... I might be able to make a shaving horse.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline dwardo

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 07:37:19 am »
In the UK a cheap option for the worktop its self is kitchen work tops. If you go to a kitchen fitting company and ask them for any seconds they have they are tough and cheap. They cant sell the top if there is s scratch on it but its perfect for our purpose.

Mine has a pine wood frame that has more gorrilla glue, screws and bolts than wood. Its secured to the wall with about 9 expanding bolts which are also glued in.

Hasnt moved an inch since I fitted it and has seen a lot of abuse.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 09:16:12 am »
 Good point, Dwardo.  My outfeed was a kitchen island countertop for years. Glue cleans of it real easy!

Offline adb

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 11:04:08 am »
I don't use a workbench for bow making or tillering. I have a work bench, but for tillering, I made a pedestal vice.

How deeply(and how) did you anchor that into the concrete? I had a grinder on a pedestal and it broke the concrete.
Don

I just used concrete lag bolts to secure it. I think they were 3" deep. Haven't touched it in 8 years.

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 11:18:51 am »
For my bow building vice I took a vice similar to the one you pictured and mounted to one end of a bench seat....yep literally a picnic table bench seat. Its comfortable for me to sit at and my weight holds it where I put it and I can move it easily to put it out of the way or go out side in sunshine.

Mark

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 11:44:14 am »
I have had many vices 8) and for me the best one for bow making is the so called parrot vice. Lots of guys who make guitars and violins use them and they are cheap. Here is mine.