Author Topic: Hupa Bow  (Read 1976 times)

Offline bigcountry

Hupa Bow
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:37:10 am »
so, I found a suitable heartwood yew stave for a hupa bow.  Want to make a replica.  Some say tillering these are tricky as it gets. 

My plan was to keep the handle stiff until the limbs are good and then work on the handle carefully.  Any other tips?

Never made a bend thru the handle bow yet.
Westminster, MD

Offline adb

Re: Hupa Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:00:33 am »
If you're going to make a bendy handle bow, make it a bendy handle bow from the start.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 12:32:02 pm »
Ive never understood the whole short bows are hard to tiller thing? They are easier as they have less limb to work. Watch the gap on a straight edge and tiller it, long or short, its all the same.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 01:28:56 pm »
I am in the process of making a Yurok style bow myself. Tillering is not typical "short bow tillering". I have made quite a few short ones and the paddle style is a bit different. Now this is how I did it and certainly not the only way. I got it bending in the widest part of the limb first and slowly worked to the tips, got them caught up, and then worked into the handle. These things need to work every inch of the wood. What length of bow and draw length are you shooting for?

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 03:12:39 am »
+1 JonW  The one's I've made I got bending pretty circular first, in the handle too to a bit past brace, then reverse strung and sinewed.  The Hoopa bow has kerf recurves though, haven't tackled that style yet.  Obviously the widest part will be the thinnest once you're done.  Go slow and make it all come about +1 PD, just less room for error ;)

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 12:03:16 am »
Thanks guys, good tips
Westminster, MD