Author Topic: Osage stave with check in the end.  (Read 1325 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Osage stave with check in the end.
« on: January 30, 2014, 11:07:12 pm »
Ok, so a friend of mine is making a bow. I am guiding him though the process, I know that he wont be guaranteed a bow but it is osage and its 55". There is a check that is on the end of the stave that runs 8, maybe 10 inches into the stave, If he keeps the check in the nock then i would imagine it shouldn't be a problem. He will be using his handmade knife for almost all of the work except for some of the tillering and all the finish work. I was wondering if checks that run out the tip is of great concern, If not that would be great because this stave looks like it has promise.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Osage stave with check in the end.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:03:42 am »
In my experience it isn't a problem as long as it goes all the way through the knock and out the tip.  If the crack runs through the cutout of a knock it's a recipe for disaster. Binding with sinew should help things.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 12:11:31 am »
It doesn't sound like a good stave for a first time builder. Not only the 8" check but the 55" over all length. A good starter stave should be 68" or so.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:28:14 am »
So maybe I should have him work on a piece of oak instead and he can take his time with the osage? working it down to one ring slowly and carefully getting profile laid out and such?
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)