Author Topic: what would you do?  (Read 3394 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

what would you do?
« on: January 29, 2014, 07:03:24 pm »
i have a 56" mullberry stave that i got from Bubby(thanks again buddy) and i have no idea what to do with it. i can post some pics of it later when i get home. im taking it down a few rings so im closer to the heart wood. i know i want it to be a stiff handle but after that i have no idea what to do with it.

Offline Onebowonder

Re: what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 07:19:32 pm »
Well, and 56" inches and a requirement for a stiff handle, I'd start by saying keep it as wide as possible so you have enough wood to share the work.  At that length, would you possibly be open to a set of spliced on Sayahs or some such?

OneBow

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 07:28:18 pm »
Unless you plan to sinew it or you have a 23" or shorter draw, I would forget about the stiff handle bit.   What I would do would depend on the stave, draw length and weight.  Need more info and some pics please kind sir.  Josh

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:31:17 pm »
sorry, forgot that part, 50-60# @26. sinew backing is not completely out of the question.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:37:59 pm »
How much crown?  Any character to work around?  I'm thinking a widened version of one of Osage outlaws sinew backed Osage beauties.  How wide would depend on the density of the stave as well as the crown and character.  Clint's design is pretty sweet.  Josh

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:53:09 pm »
its got a medium crown, not high but not low. i like the one clint did, that was one sweet bow. only reason im leaning away from sinew backing is because i dont have any and i dont want to wait to get a bow out of this stave lol.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 08:01:50 pm »
In that case, I would do something like this.. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28346 .    You'll have the handle bending slightly but you can build it up with cork or leather after its tillered and it will barely be noticed.  The mulberry I have around home works beautiful in this design.  Josh

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 08:12:42 pm »
thats a sweet lil bow, how wide is it?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 08:21:40 pm »
i forgot to mention, there is some charactor, its got some wavyness to it.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 08:33:02 pm »
Its been a while since I made one, but I'm about 90% sure that its 2 1/4" at the fades and about an inch and a half at the handle.  There's a trick to tillering the fades on one of these.  If you decide to go with this design, I'll be happy to help all I can.  You'll have to decide whether or not the character is to much though.  Pics are good, but it doesn't compare to holding the stave in your hands and eyeballing it up close.   Josh

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 08:36:23 pm »
with the waves in it idk if decrowning would be a good idea. maybe i can keep the width by making the belly slightly concaved?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 08:46:45 pm »
Mulberry is much better in tension than walnut.  No need to decrown.  If width is the problem, then a slight hollow limb will do the job.  Meaning that you would maintain an even thickness across the width of the limb.   Ive never made an extreme HLD like simson does, but I have used the constant thickness to adjust for character.  Josh

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 10:51:20 pm »

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 11:37:35 pm »
I have made a couple (and broke a couple others) of mulberry bows - on all of mine I used all heartwood.  Are you planning on using some sapwood?  Anyone make with the sapwood?  Just curious how it compares.

All of the mulberry I have has lots of little "rows" of pin knots that I had to work around - nasty little buggers to deal with.  Good luck with it - lookin forward to seeing your work!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 03:23:35 am »
Heck I would just make a bow out of it.
Clatskanie, Oregon