Author Topic: Yew Paddle Bow  (Read 5499 times)

Offline wizardgoat

Yew Paddle Bow
« on: January 27, 2014, 05:13:38 pm »
Hey everyone,
               I have a really nice 53" piece of pacific yew, about 4" wide and plenty deep. Would love to made a Western Indian style
Paddle bow, I live in pacific northwest so I should really have one! I've only made 2 bows so far, both around 70" long flat bows,
so I know this one will be quite a bit tougher. Theres all sorts of examples of styles and dimmensions in TBB1, just wondering if
anyone has any advice or experience in building such a bow.
How long of draw length should i aim for on this, staying on the safe side?
I'd love to try a bendy handle, and will be backing it with sinew.
how much extra draw length would be added with sinew backing?
how far along in the tillering should i add the sinew?
Ive read of people sinewing their bows when they've completed tillering, and have also read people doing it about midway for the extra
wiggle room.
All in all, I really just don't want to end up with really pretty firewood. Any advice would be appreciated! Cheers!

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Yew Paddle Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:01:11 pm »
Is the back rough? I only heard of sinew on yew when the sap wood is no good. Then all sapwood is removed then sinew. Also after sinew is dry u must retiller.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:13:13 pm »
sapwoods ok, just really looking for an excuse to sinew something, I've never done it.
also wondering how much extra draw length it would give. thanks

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:33:36 pm »
Conventional wisdom says... if you want sinew backed yew, remove the sapwood.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 08:56:57 pm »
I agree. I don't think it gives u any certain draw extension. From my small brain I see sinewing the limb makes it stronger, so the wood will be thinner, allowing the bow to bend more. Dunno if it's right. Just a thought. It's all in how u tiller it IMO.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:37:57 pm »
One of my favorite combo's is Yew and sinew, I thin the sapwood down to 1/8 or 3/16  but I always leave some sapwood on. The sapwood is so good at withstanding tension and the sinew allows me a shorter bow or less working limb as in a static recurve.
Just my 2 cents.

Mark

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 09:59:59 pm »
Our west coast natives took all the sapwood off. Bc with sinew the sapwood is not necessary for tension strength.
The paddle bow(whether you agree or not) is a sophisticated design.
Takes the compression strength if yew heartwood with the springiness and tension value if sinew into a small short range hammer.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:30:47 pm »
Either way you go, can't wait to see it. I haven't made a paddle bow yet but with a design like that I would probably try to make it more authentic.

Mark

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 06:09:25 am »

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 12:16:02 pm »
Thanks for your replies everyone! Started roughing it out yesterday,I'll post pics when
I get a little further along. ..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 03:10:45 pm »
Simon did have sapwood on that yew paddle bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ck3282

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 06:38:51 pm »
I've made a couple sinew backed yew paddle bows. The latest and greatest is 47" ntn and I've taken it to 23" Max but usually only take it to about 21". Shooting it takes a little getting used to but its one of the hardest hitting bows I've ever made especially with short cane arrows. Yew and sinew make one hell of a bow

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 07:02:24 pm »
Wizard,
When to sinew?  What works for me is to floor tiller and then long-string, tiller the bow to the point which you can string it to brace height.  At brace height, both limbs should be even in strength and have a good elliptical curve.  I stop tillering when I've accomplished that.  It is at this point, that I sinew back my bows.

Draw length depends on the what you've decided will be the length of the bow.  50" bow with a bendy handle can yield a 25" draw, with good tiller, un-backed with sinew.  You could probably get 26-27 with sinew however, you'll have to be aware of the string angle at full draw.  When you exceed the 90 degree angle your string loops can slip from your nocks.  Setting back your tips is necessary to help insure against this catastrophe.

West Coast Paddle Bows if I recall, narrow at the handle then fade back out to mid-limb and fade back in at the tips.  Since the handle narrows, you'll have to be thicker in the handle area than the rest of the bow.  Tillering can be tricky.

With all of that being said, you mentioned that you've made two 70" long bows.  Were they stiff handled?  Might I suggest building a bendy handle design bow as practice prior to the west coast design with the sinew.  Making a bendy handle can be tricky.  Especially, a bendy handle with a handle narrower than the limbs.  Processing sinew is a bunch of work.  Would be a shame to go through the entire sinew exercise and the bow not turn out as well has you hoped.  Please take my words constructively.  You're venturing into
BowMaking-401
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 01:41:53 pm »
Thanks everyone for your detailed answers. After a few
checks revealed themselves its turned into a 45" bow (hopefully).
Old growth Yew is full of all sorts of surprises.
Yes my first 2 bows were stiff handled, I defenetly
know this is a challenge for my 3rd bow, but I'm up for it.
Its the only stave I have thats ready to work! I've never worked
with sinew either, so I really wanted to give it a go.
Thanks for your warning MWirwicki