Author Topic: First Bow! Need help  (Read 3180 times)

Offline little_bit

First Bow! Need help
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:58:55 pm »
I'm looking at building my first bow and I honestly have no idea where to start... I've always wanted to craft my own bow and arrows and shoot them.  I've seen some youtube videos and get the general gist of the process but I'm not sure where to begin, should I buy a stave online?  Get a board from Lowes and just start whittlin'?! 

Offline Mohawk13

Re: First Bow! Need help
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:05:00 pm »
First determine what kind of bow you are going to make and start there. Then find the proper materials. Make a list and ask questions. It will work itself out. Just get a bit organized...And Good Luck.
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:05:47 pm »
Where do you live? If you're close enough I'll send you a seasoned stave. Npte: I'm retired and on SS for income and if the cost is too much you will have to pay the shipping. From there  on out I'll walk you through it.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:18:32 pm »
Can't beat a deal like that!  Very generous Fred.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 11:24:21 pm »
Do you have the basic tools?
Something like this seems common: Course rasp, wood files, hatchet, knife/scraper, nock file, and work space.
Do you have a way to tiller such as a tiller stick or tree?
Do you have some string or can you get some?

Search on here, there was a recent thread on tillering trees that may give you some ideas on a set up that would work for your living situation and resources.

Also, search the "How to's and build a longs" section and read through a couple. It may give you some great guidance for where to start, what you'll need, and what order to go in. I sure would have done better at the first couple had I done this.

You may be able to trade into a stave on the trading post section fairly easily also.

Welcome and good luck, Marco.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 11:53:39 pm »
 Check out the build along /tutorial section. Bubby's pyramid bow for begginers is the perfect place to start !

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.msg464947.html#msg464947
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:58:14 pm by lostarrow »

Offline CodyPost

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 12:05:21 am »
Welcome Im new to the site and still pretty new at building a bow as well. There is a lot of great information to be had on these pages. The build alongs really help out a lot. The only advice I will give since I am a novice too, is don't get in a hurry take your time while you are working on your bow. Glad you are here
In the beginning God gave man two ends, one to sit on and one to think with. Ever since that moment mans success has been dependent upon the one he used most.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:28:57 am »
I totally get that unsure feeling when you first start, all I can say is dive in. worst case scenerio you get to make a new bow with the knowledge from the last one. Im sure all these super experienced guys will chime in a lot of great and useful info. I am not great at tht part but I will encourage you all the way! get at it and learn thats the best I got, eceryone here is awesome (I think)  ;) and will help out the best they can.

John
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 08:57:52 am »
I usually start with an 1/8" thick piece of hickory for a backing, and buy the straightest grained quarter sawn red oak that I can find, and use the diagram below... Our website also has a document on how to build a board bow...  Try to ignore that the website stretched the pictures a bit. We just updated it last night and I think we need to revisit that to correct the issue... But it is readable. 

http://civilianarcherssociety.webs.com/apps/blog/show/41125370-how-to-build-a-board-bow

"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 01:17:04 pm »
Welcome, there's a lot of experience to be gained in this endeavor. Just remember to have fun! You've found a good place with a lot of good knowlegable folks to help you along. I personally would suggest you start with a board bow there is a lot of experiece to be gained without a lot of investment.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 01:55:41 pm »
Welcome, there's a lot of experience to be gained in this endeavor. Just remember to have fun! You've found a good place with a lot of good knowlegable folks to help you along. I personally would suggest you start with a board bow there is a lot of experiece to be gained without a lot of investment.

I second that. There's probably about $5 in material in most of my bows...
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline little_bit

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 10:12:56 pm »
Wow, thanks everyone!  The help has been tremendous!  I'm currently in Columbus, MS so Fred I may take you up on your offer.  I'll start looking at those sites and I'll let everyone know how its going.  Does the back of the bow (front) need to be free of age rings?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 10:16:25 pm »
Wow, thanks everyone!  The help has been tremendous!  I'm currently in Columbus, MS so Fred I may take you up on your offer.  I'll start looking at those sites and I'll let everyone know how its going.  Does the back of the bow (front) need to be free of age rings?

See?  You aren't totally lost!  You know that the back is the front! 

With a little luck, someone local to you will see this post and invite you over for some one on one tool time with your wood.  It happens!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 10:28:08 pm »
little_bit, I just mailed out a 60" 1960 Kodiak fully insured Priority mail and the cost was just under $18 so a trimmed down dry stave shouldn't cost even that. Send me your address and I'll see what I can do.
Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Grandpa Bill

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 10:28:42 pm »
It is hard to beat a free stave but I would recommend a straight grain red oak board 1x2 about 6ft long.  Save the stave for when you have a better idea of what it takes to make a bow.  Home Depot or Lowes should have one for less than 10 dollars.  They don't hurt your feeling as much when they break and you will break bows if you make bows.  Just my 2 cents

Grandpa Bill
Aim Small - Hit Small - Repeat