Author Topic: Osage blanks  (Read 1852 times)

Offline OsageWhisper

Osage blanks
« on: February 01, 2014, 12:42:39 pm »
Anyone know where I can buy Osage blanks. I don't have the tools to take a tree down to a stave but I can rasp out a bow if I have a roughed out bow.

Thanks always

Offline Wiley

Re: Osage blanks
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 01:13:56 pm »
I would try to find the least knotty osage specimen I could find if I were you. I'm sure that with the proper application of force using nothing more than a hatchet or axe, some wedges made from a dense hardwood, and maybe a hammer I could break a small tree into staves by opening up a crack with the axe/hatchet and making that crack expand through the wood by pounding wedges into it. Some steel wedges are obviously more durable, but you can split wood with wood wedges and something to hit them with.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 01:24:12 pm »
I have split osage with a couple of deer antler tines and a knot of firewood!  Osage isn't hard to split.  A hatchet isn't hard to find and you can do a lot of shaping when it is sharp and your blows are well aimed and controlled.  Less force, more control.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 01:35:57 pm »
Rattlestick Bows, Pine Hollow Longbows, Rudderbows all have what your lookin for. They all advertise in P.A... If you have anything to trade I would post something in the trading post here.. Folks always got staves to trade here... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline ohma2

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 03:39:01 pm »
What wiley said!!!

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 05:31:36 pm »
You might give Matt Wirwicki a PM.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 06:14:39 pm »
x2 matt is great to deal with
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹