Author Topic: Static Osage recurve advice needed  (Read 1773 times)

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
Static Osage recurve advice needed
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:37:17 pm »
 Seeing all the great recurves on here lately has really got me pumped, I'm ready to jump, just need a little guidance. I need some suggestions for limb width and taper. I'm building a 62" Osage static. Looking for 45/50lbs @ 27". I have a pristine stave, straight as a pipe, not a blemish on it. I always seem to over build my bows, they are bomb proof but not really happy with the cast. I want to build something with a little zip to shoot 3D with this summer. What's a sensible limb width for a good piece of Osage? Also I'm not sure on the radius of the curves, suggestions? Many thanks, Dan

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Static Osage recurve advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 07:49:10 pm »
I made an Osage recurve awhile ago. Same length and made it 1 1/2" wide with a flat bow dimensions to get started. I made a follow/help along post, i asked allot of questions and they were answered by some great bowyers.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,41922.0.html

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:09:23 pm »
I learned a lot from that post Bowman53 when I read the first,  After the second time, I learned a couple more things.  By the way nice bow.

Tallpine,
Just dive in, post what you think is your next steps and most of the fine fellas on here will chime in with advice and have some fun in the mean time.
DBar
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:37:29 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:26:33 pm »
The last two I made were 1 1/4 and 1 5/16 wide. The Osage with no sinew was 62" NTN. With both bows I started narrowing the last third of the limb.

Mark

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:51:03 pm »
Thanks for the link Bowman, good info. Danzn, I'm following your thread. Mark, your bow is one of the ones that inspired me to do a Static. I have it down to a good ring and everything is flat and straight, I'm going to narrow it to 1 5/16 and steam the curves in. If I get in trouble I will be calling on you guys for sure. Thanks

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:09:38 pm »
tallpine,
The one I'm working on now is a little wider 1 1/2" @ the fades.  But, is 60" ntn and 53# @ 28".  I've just made a few statics and IMO wider helps short static selfbows from twist and keeping string alignment.  Especially at the tips, you don't need them 1 1/2" wide.  But keep them wide until you get the string cutting the center of the handle.  Remember you can take wood off, but can't add it back.
Good luck and have some fun,
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:11 pm »
I agree with DBar, start wider. I didn't just cut right down to 1 1/4 and wider would seem to be more stable but if it's a bow for me I'll push it just a little.

Mark

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:32:10 pm »
Thanks Danzn and Mark, your right. Ill steam the hooks in first than narrow it. Better to sneak up on it. I'm probably over thinking this but this is such a nice stave and Yellow wood is so hard to come by in my neck of the woods

Offline dwardo

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 06:12:04 am »
The ONLY osage I have built was 1,3/8th at the widest point.