Author Topic: done with fiberglass, need advice on first wood bow  (Read 1232 times)

Offline jojo

done with fiberglass, need advice on first wood bow
« on: January 29, 2014, 04:24:24 am »
I'm putting away my old fiberglass longbow I've used for years in an effort to become more primitive and skilled as a hunter and craftsman. My only wood bow I owned developed deep frets (as some of u saw in my recent post) from treating it like a glass bow most likely.

I've been researching a lot of material and have decided to start with a hickory board bow. I need something durable to hunt with that can hold up well in the dry Arizona desert. I was given a link for a pyramid buildalong so ill start there.

I would like some input on my design. My draw is 26" so I was going to start at 2" at the widest part of the limb and make the bow 64" long. Does this seem about right for my draw and wood selection?

Also, does anyone have an example of proper tiller for this bow? I read it should be more circular with symmetrical limbs but I'm not sure what that looks like versus elliptical.

I tried making a few bows years ago and ended up with some beautiful firewood. I just recently read why they failed have been encouraged to try again but take it slow. Any input would be very helpful.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 04:53:29 am by Joemama4 »

Offline arachnid

Re: done with fiberglass, need advice on first wood bow
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 05:31:37 am »

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 05:55:26 am »
You don't say what draw weight you are looking for but I would say 1 3/4 width would be plenty for upto 55# or so. Especially with low humidity levels.
Your wood choice is good.
Your design choice is perfect.
Your length is perhaps a little short for your first few bows. I know you are drawing 26 but I would go for 66 ntn to begin with. If you get a big enough board maybe even start out at 68 ntn. Think of this one as a slightly easier way to learn. Once you make a good 68 inch bow then try shortening it. You can of course give yourself more width on a shorter bow but you'll find tillering a bit easier with a longer bow.
Circular tiller is correct for a pyramid bow. To get a good circular tiller with a straight board is fortunately quite easy! Search 'tillering gizmo'. Make one and when you use it the gap should be the same all the way along the limb. Apart from being a little stiffer directly out of the fades for a couple of inches and also slightly into the tips.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 12:51:08 pm »
Read Traditional Bowyers Bibles, Paul Comstock's The Bent Stick, Hunting The Osage Bow by Dean Torges, and hang out here. As you develop the skills, you'll find yourself roughing out bows closer to final dimensions and arriving at tiller faster. (To help speed things along, do a search for "tillering gizmo")

Offline jojo

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:56:49 pm »
Great info guys thx. My target weight for this bow is 50-55#.I have been reading the bowyers bibles a lot but ill check some of these other resources too.