Author Topic: Matched set of Gunther Barbed points...  (Read 8423 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Re: Matched set of Gunther Barbed points...
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 04:04:21 pm »
It's almost hard to believe that those are hand-made! :o
Incredible work!!!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 05:31:01 pm »

All the above!  Sheesh!  Holy Molly!  Son of a b@#!$% !!  :o :o  Man those are just absolutely beautiful! 8) 8)  What to do with them?! ???   Put some cotton in an Altoids tin, and gently place them in that, cover them with more cotton, gently close the lid, and put a rubber band around that, and if they won't all fit safely in one tin, use another one.  Then Pm me for my address.  Pretty simple huh? ;)  ;D ;D ;D ::)  Definitely put them in a display case, in the circle pattern, you have shown here.  I have only made a couple of Gunther style points, and each and every time, just as I was getting excited about being able to do one, one side would break off, and I would end up with a ..... uh..... fishing arrow head.  Yeah, that was what I was trying for .... yeah, a fishing arrow head. ;)  Phenomenal points, and skill! ;)  thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 10:37:50 pm »
Hey y'all thanks for the kind words ! "Stick bender" haha fresh out of altiod boxes ! I broke a couple during this process too nothing worse than snapping a little tip off! In this case even a tiny tip or barb breaking made it not worthy of the set. Talk about some colorful language when that happens !!!
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 11:10:11 pm »
I am always amazed at the symetry you get on a set of points....If You need a job when You get back, contact me....

Out of curiosity what job you offering? ::)
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 11:18:06 pm »
Scary nice set of points Seminole, real beauties.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 03:07:15 am »
Damn it Man!

They're Beautiful!

I definitely wouldn't waste em on a Deer or Hog.
And Hell, if I was gonna point one at somebody...
They'd have to Earn It...

>:D

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 03:14:20 am »
Damn it Man!

They're Beautiful!

I definitely wouldn't waste em on a Deer or Hog.
And Hell, if I was gonna point one at somebody...
They'd have to Earn It...

>:D

Hahah had me laughing on that one !
-gus

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline 1442

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 07:55:19 am »
Well here's my thoughts

INCREDIBLE!!!
INCREDIBLE!!!
INCREDIBLE!!!
INCREDIBLE!!!
INCREDIBLE!!!
INCREDIBLE!!!

If I send you my pressure flaker, could you train it to do work like that for me?

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 09:14:25 am »
Curious about a couple of things here..
1. How long have you been knapping?
2. How often do you knapp? You seem to have the process down to a science!
3. How long does it take you to produce one point like these? I know it depends on style and material uses (I assume).

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 09:47:03 am »
Curious about a couple of things here..
1. How long have you been knapping?
2. How often do you knapp? You seem to have the process down to a science!
3. How long does it take you to produce one point like these? I know it depends on style and material uses (I assume).

Sure...

I started knapping last year in March after returning from Afghanistan last time. I made a set of tools and started looking for rock near my house. This was about the same time I got active on this forum and realized there were a few people near me who were knappers. The first person I reached out to was Eddie "mullet" he taught me a whole lot and was kind enough to let me go through his rock stash. We would sit around drinking beer and chipping. You can ask him, I used to mess up a lot of good stone ! "Bonepile" also gave me a few good pointers when I met him.

Over here in Afghanistan I try to knapp every day but its dictated by weather or not we have missions to go on. I also wear out a lot of tools and that throws a hickup in the mix because I have to wait to get them made in the states and sent out. I also run out of rock quite frequently which sucks. Thanks to "Jackcrafty" "Mullet" and "trapper rob" and a couple other people who have graciously sent me stone, I have been able to knap out here (YOU GUYS ROCK !) There is no knappable rock that I have ever found out here in Southern AFG.

These Gunther style points are the most time consuming I have made to date, First I take a small spall and reduce it with Direct Percussion till its thin enough to notch of course then there is the serrations that take a long time the smaller they are. No joke one of these points that fought me the whole way took 3 hours lol ! (Yeah I never claimed to be fast!). One great thing that I learned about knapping here in Afghanistan is how to make the most of your rock. Some of these smaller spalls I would have thrown away back in the states but since they are all I have here I am forced to make them work. You would be suprised how with patience you can start with an oddly shaped spall no bigger than 3" and end up with a really nice point.

The best advice that works for me is stick with your principles and really take your time !
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:53:47 am by seminolewind »

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 11:40:57 am »
Thanks for the response.... :)

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 04:02:29 pm »
I can't add anything that hadn't already been said. If they were mine, I'd arrange them in a circle like your picture and frame those puppies for my wall. Damn fine work!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 12:00:39 pm »
Wow man.  Great job.  Those looks very scary in the best of ways :)

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 12:45:32 pm »
"CookieCutter" ;D - those are sweet! Very nice symmetry and choreography!

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 01:02:41 pm »
Started last year . No learning curve there. Wished I was that good after7 years
Knapper
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:55:36 pm by Knapper »
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250