Author Topic: Best Tool in the Cookie Cutter Bowyers Toolbox?  (Read 6018 times)

Offline DavidV

Best Tool in the Cookie Cutter Bowyers Toolbox?
« on: January 26, 2014, 02:24:14 am »
A couple of years ago I started buying cheap (less than $20) hand planes from flea markets just to get them working again. However I left them only to furniture work until now... not sure why, I guess I assumed bows were too much of an organic thing to use something as precisioned as a 14" bench plane on. Well I was wrong because it's the perfect tool for the "cookie cutter" bows I've been making. Take a straight grained hickory, oak, or maple board, lay out the side tapers and start hogging away wood with an aggressive plane. Then you can taper the belly just by taking progressively shorter strokes towards the tips, which is way more even than a rasp. And if I somehow got a flatspot I corrected it by bringing the blade up and skewing across the grain.
Only the finish tillering I did with a scraper.
Well that's my latest epiphany I'd like to hear if anyone else had the same... or more likely the exact opposite.
Springfield, MO

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Best Tool in the Cookie Cutter Bowyers Toolbox?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 02:33:24 am »
My farriers rasp is the most used tool i have. I get a bow 75%tillered with it.

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:07:21 am »
Its a debate between my hatchet which does 80 percent of my rough out and my rasp which does 80 percent of my shaping and tillering.. I think I can replace the hatchet but not the ferriers rasp, so rasp it is.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 04:23:49 am »
Bandsaw  ;)

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 05:20:27 am »
 Band saw and then  block plane , for board bows. Then to spoke shave (rounding edges and faring curves into the stiff tips) and last to scraper for final tillering. The rasp and files are for shaping the real curvy bits like handle and nocks for me.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 07:12:46 am »
My rasp does more work then any other tool. I haven't had the pleasure of roughing a bow out in 10 mins with a bandsaw yet
I like osage

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 08:36:06 am »
Roughed out on the bandsaw, cleaned up on the belt sander, and then rasp & scraper to the end.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 08:40:51 am »
If you took my rasp away I wouldn't miss it much.  Lot's of guys swear by them though, so it just shows the diverse ways people can get to the Promised Land in what we do.  Draw knife and belt sander.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 08:52:48 am »
  Years ago I did a lot of cookie cutter bows. Besides the block plane I like the spokeshave. I only use the rasp now for handles and around the tips. Draw knife and scraper are my two main tools anymore. If I pack up tools to go work on a bow away from home I pack a draw knife, scraper, nicholson rasp, nock file, a bastard file to sharpen the scraper with, and a file cleaner.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 08:55:10 am »
Jointer. With a little playing a guy can pump out 95% tillered boards off a jointer all day. I lost my recipe, but I bet could get close again.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 09:17:05 am »
I got a farriers  rasp a few months ago and it is my main tool. I think I could do everything short of cutting the string nocks with it. I also use a hatchet, scraper and Shinto.

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 09:42:23 am »
I guess I'm the only one who uses my hunting knife for scraping. Between that and my draw knife I'm all set.

Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 11:31:53 am »
Band saw for rough out, rasp for shaping and scraper for tillering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 11:36:20 am »
Band saw for rough out, rasp for shaping and scraper for tillering.

+1. Same same

Offline bushboy

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 01:58:16 pm »
never really liked rasps till i got a shinto,it rocks!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.