Author Topic: Burlap Backed Ash Bow  (Read 10284 times)

Offline Arrowind

Burlap Backed Ash Bow
« on: January 25, 2014, 09:07:57 pm »
Here is one I finished recently.  I wanted to do something that looked like it could have been found with a long dead ancient hunter...not totally primitive...but I'm fine with that.

Burlap Backed Ash - Holmgaard Design
2" at the Fades
3/8" at the Tips
Bucksin leather handle rough side out
Finish - poly - wood ash rubbed in while first coat still wet
Tip overlays - dear bone
8 strand fast flight string
19.5 oz
66" NTN
46# @ 28"
Fun to shoot!  ;D

Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

Re: Burlap Backed Ash Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 09:08:54 pm »
More Pics
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:09:48 pm »
More Pics

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:16:38 pm »
 Very nice!  I know it's going to be a great shooter by the profile.It looks like a few I've made myself and loved the way they shot. Now I just have to find a way to keep one ;). Many have said they didn't care for ash , but I found it to be right up there at the top for me. Liked it more than Elm in fact.
  How did you like the wood?

Offline Nashoba

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 09:34:56 pm »
Good lord those tips are making me nervous. Beautiful bow though, and great work.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 09:36:19 pm »
Never worked with ash but from here the rustic grip, nice thin tips and sweet bends looks good to me.....shoot the heck out of it and have some fun.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 10:58:12 pm »
lostarrow - Thanks! - I really like ash. I like the wood itself.  It just appeals to me.  As a bow wood I like it too.  I know a lot of people shy away from it or discount it but I think if you have a good design it works great. This one is actually a really good shooter.  I'm quite happy with it.

Nashoba -  Thanks!  The tips are solid.  I've seen some bows with narrower tips.  If they are thick enough not to bend you can go pretty narrow. The thing about narrow tips is the benefit of lower mass at that part of the limb resulting in better performance.  You should check out some of blackhawks bows.  he takes it to the extreme and they are awesome.

Danzn Bar - Thanks!  been shooting it quite a bit and it IS quite fun.  Thanks again!

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 11:41:45 pm »
Nice bow for certain!! Have heard about burlap as a backing, but have not seen it until now. Very interesting....
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 06:00:32 am »
Arrowind, nice looking levers and bend. That handle is 8). I want that hide >:D
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 08:42:13 am »
Good looking bow.  I like the rustic look to it.  Looks like a sweet shooter to me.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline RyanR

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 09:26:01 am »
The title burlap backed really drew me in to this post. This thing looks sweet. How did you glue the burlap on? Did you just cut the burlap off from a bag? I think you got the look you wanted with this one. Nice work.

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 09:52:18 am »
Arrowind,
      You sure did accomplish your goal, very nice in all respects. Especially like your even bends in the working limbs. Top shelf right there.
rich

Offline woodswalker

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 11:42:58 am »
That's a winner in my book. Love the tips and have thought about using burlap myself. Great job.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 11:59:22 am »
Very nice Sir!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline smoke

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 01:47:23 pm »
Very cool look to the bow!