Author Topic: Burlap Backed Ash Bow  (Read 10285 times)

blackhawk

Re: Burlap Backed Ash Bow
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 02:21:51 pm »
Good stats and design for ash...I bet its a sweet shooter  8)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 05:04:28 pm »
I am glad you like burlap. I like the handle covering. Great tiller! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 08:02:50 pm »
Mohawk13 -  Thanks!

burchett.donald- thanks! Yeah a friend of mine gave me that hide as a piece of scrap.  I've been trying to decide how I would use it.
The other side is really nice and smooth but I wanted a rough look so I did it this way.  Glad you like it.

hrhodes – Thanks!

RyanR – Thanks!  Yes I believe I got the burlap from the garden center at Home Depot. I say “I believe” because it's been quite a long time.  I know it came from a hardware store garden center and yes it was from a large bag.  Just cut done the seams to open the bag up and you have a nice sheet of it.  If you buy it from a fabric store it will be way too expensive and probably not dense enough.  I cut a strip about 2” wide and whatever length I need then use regular Titebond 3 to glue it on.  I put glue on the wood lay the burlap down then ad more glue to the back and spread it out as smooth as I can.  This works the glue in to all the fibers.  Once it dries (the next day) I cut off the excess with box cutters or scissors or razor blade.  Then I sand it nice and smooth.  I've done several like this and it works great. 

half eye – thanks! That means a lot to me especially coming from you.

woodswalker –thanks!  You should try it.  It's really easy to do.

SLIMBOB –thanks!

Smoke – thanks!

blackhawk – thanks man.  I have admired the bows you've made in this design and I am glad to find out how sweet it can be.  I really like the super long ash bow you posted not too long ago.

George Tsoukalas -  Hey George, Thanks!  You told me once you had used it before as well.  I do like it.   I like the texture and the old almost medieval look it has.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 08:29:46 pm »
sweet looking bow!i like it! 8)!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 09:53:27 pm »
That really looks nice!  Great work!  Josh

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 11:22:41 pm »
bushboy, Gun Doc - Thanks!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline 4dog

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 12:03:01 am »
there is something about the total look of this bow...i just keep returning to look at it...its just so cool in its simplicity..my favorite kind of bow,right to the point.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 09:13:48 am »
I'm diggin it, especially the burlap! Nice work...
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 10:58:23 am »
Awesome bow.  Love the look of it.  Please tell us about the deer bone you used in the tip overlays.  How did you process it?  What portion of the Deer did the bone come from?

Onebow

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 12:52:34 pm »
I just picked up some nice Ash lumber, thanks for the inspiration! I was thinking of trying a lever bow, I've never tried one. It sure looks like the combination worked really well for you.

Offline autologus

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 01:24:40 pm »
This is a very nice bow, I love the design and the whole look to it.  You do very nice finish work as always a beautiful and functional weapon.  I do have a couple of questions, could you post some limb dimensions and what type of splice did you use?

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 01:39:54 pm »
I like that! Nice and rugged look to it and sure looks like it would be fun to shoot. Good job.
Marco

Offline dwardo

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 04:09:34 pm »
Real nice bow all round. The grip is great and original.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 11:21:46 pm »
4dog - wow thanks man.  Glad you like it.

Blackcoyote - Thanks!

Onebowonder - Thanks! The deer bone is from a tibia I believe.  It was from a long dead carcass on my uncles property in Colorado. Just cut it with a jig saw and sanded it down enough to have a flat piece.  Glued it on with super glue then finished it up after it dried.

paoliguy - Thanks! What I like about ash is that it's not overly difficult to find straight grain. It's relatively light for how strong it is.
One thing to keep in mind is that it wants to take set so wider limbs are better. 

autologus - Thanks! The grip is about 4.25" fades are about 2.5" long and 2" wide.  It tapers to around 1.5" at about 3/4 limb then tapers to .5" about 6" from the tips and tapers again to 3/8" at the tips.   The total length of the bow is 68" TTT.   I did not do any splicing.  It is one piece tip to tip accept for the riser for the hande which was just glued on flat with titebond 3.  I hope that answers your question...Does that make any sense?

DuBois- Thanks!

dwardo - Thanks!

Offline autologus

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2014, 09:34:32 am »
Thanks, it looks great.  The reason I thought it had been spliced at the handle was the grain on both limbs at the handle curve to one side making it look like it had been split then the two pieces spliced at the handle.  You did a wonderful job on it Ash is very pretty when finished.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.