Author Topic: Primitive Archery (DIY) perspective  (Read 3383 times)

Offline bow101

Primitive Archery (DIY) perspective
« on: February 17, 2014, 03:56:53 pm »
We only have one archery shop in town.  I'am a very good reader of human personality, judgement and all that junk.  I noticed the store clerk one day gave me the cold shoulder as I was asking some very simple questions about fletchings.  For all intents and purposes I knew exactly what I was talking about. 
The clerk seemed a little off handed, because right away he knew that I was making my own arrows. I asked about the new arrow prices then  went on about fletchings, it's obvious in a small town that regular faces are imprinted into a clerks mind.
He seemed very aloof and did not want to talk to me about Archery in the least.. That really turned me off.

Will I go back there to buy anything..?  For A major purchase..?   I doubt it..  and funny thing a new Cabelas is opening up this fall less than 60 miles away.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JEB

Re: Primitive Archery (DIY) perspective
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:00:50 pm »
That seems to happen more in the what I would call the "new Age" archery shops where they sell compound/crossbow stuff and a very small amount of traditional items.  It is like you are beneath them because you use a stick and a string.  I smile inside when clerks act that way because they have no clue on what I know.  I have been shooting a bow for 55 years and my dad owned an archery shop back in the 60's so I have a little knowledge about archery.

I find that there is zero reason to try and talk to guys like that because they are somewhat of a know it all and really know nothing!!!

I went into Cabela's one day and asked for some full length feathers and the clerk in the archery department didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 07:05:24 pm »
Two archery shops on my way home from work. One is already on the trad/prim wagon and the other is close behind, both have trad nights, no all primitive shoot yet. Problem is I don't need those places much any more, their problem, not mine. I still stop once in  awhile but tend to get bored and my stops are rarer and rarer now. DIY ya know,  ;) dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:09:42 pm »
Good luck with cabelas the one near me only has crossbows and compound " bow" accessorys nothing that Intrests me and hardly any traditional archery tackle I don't think they even sell wood arrows
I like osage

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 08:43:52 pm »
Good luck with cabelas the one near me only has crossbows and compound " bow" accessorys nothing that Intrests me and hardly any traditional archery tackle I don't think they even sell wood arrows

In Nebraska you would expect to find more shops at least geared toward sticks and strings but it is a matter of economics and the old shops haven't survived. Closest related business is 70 miles to Cabela's in Kearney. They have a small inventory geared toward traditional archers but it is a very small percentage of their business.

My take on primitive is making or trading for the gear needed so I don't expect to see retail outlets geared towards that small percentage of the populace. Although some of our sponsors and ather outlets on the internet help fill the gap there is potentially very little profit to be had trying to fulfill our wants and needs.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 09:21:52 pm »
I've never had anybody give me a hard time about shooting primitive bows.  In fact, its pretty much the opposite.  When I bring up my bow hunting equipment they seem interested and impressed.  I live an hour away from a decent hunting store like Dicks or Field and Stream.  Their traditional bow section consists of one recurve, one longbow, an arm guard, and a cheap side quiver. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 10:11:50 pm »
And that my gentleman friends is why we have PA ;D
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 12:47:13 pm »
That's why I save my nickles all year waiting for the spring shoots. I have a shopping list ready just waiting for the Ky Tradfest, the classic, Cloverdale .... Uh, I may need more nickles!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 01:00:02 pm »
And that my gentleman friends is why we have PA ;D

Winner-winner chicken dinner Fred! And.....................its FREE!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 06:39:14 am »
Usually don't even go in them unless I am looking for camping gear, most times don't even go to the archery part. Face it most of us are a little different,I have a vendor,really nice young man that makes beautiful knives,he came to the Classic and then to the IBO Trad. World 3 times,I ask why he didn't come back to the Classic,he said it was a great bunch of people that he really enjoyed but most just wanted to look and get ideas and then go build their own stuff where as a lot of folks at the IBO world wanted to buy.Strictly economics's.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 09:34:31 am »
These days it is usually about the dollar. Not too much interest shown for the aesthetics  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington