Author Topic: First Bow Hackberry Question  (Read 2767 times)

Offline alcot

First Bow Hackberry Question
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:28:55 pm »
For my first attempt at building a bow I bought a Hackberry stave from Pine Hollow and found an old draw knife and am ready to begin.
I understand the first step is to remove the bark and early wood down to the first late wood growth ring. What I am seeing is a thin layer of light wood under the bark and then a PAPER THIN ring of darker wood. Is this the target for the back of the bow? I tried to practise on the belly where the band saw has exposed some growth rings, but couldnt even tell when I was on that paper thin thin layer of darker wood. I cant imagine trying to follow that ring and working the wood down to that layer. Stumped before I start!
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: First Bow Hackberry Question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 02:37:43 pm »
On summer cut HB, the bark will fall off, when it does, there's your back.  Nothing else needed other than a little light sanding to clean it up.  Very light sanding if any.  Will the bark peel off?
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 03:59:19 pm »
Hackberry is in the elm family, you shouldn't need to chase growth rings ( unless it has really small rings and you have to get down to some bigger ones below). just remove the bark and the cambium layer. Below that is your bow back. make sure to heat treat for added durability and performance. IF your going to chase, i heard some people use stain and such to wipe on real fast so you can see the grain and  layer pattern. Just what i hear, i've never used that technique myself.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 04:02:46 pm by Ink »
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 05:26:59 pm »
Hackberry is in the elm family

Funny enough, it used to be, but now it is classified as being in the same family as hemp. Which has nothing to do with it being one of my top favs or anything...   >:D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 06:27:05 pm »
is that why it smells so good when you put the heat to it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 06:33:00 pm »
Ah Ha moment!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline dbb

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 06:41:06 pm »
I had to get past some damage on a piece of rowan last sommer,not much in common with hackberry exept the color (white on white)
Not fun to chase a ring on until i mixed some ash from the bbq with water in a bowl and used a sponge to wipe on as i worked.
I guess it was the early wood that became almost black against the other light grey,after that it was a piece of cake  8)
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 06:45:17 pm »
is that why it smells so good when you put the heat to it

;D Seriously though, it does smell awesome when you heat it. I wanna smoke some bbq chicken with it or something. mmmmmmmmmmm
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 07:04:35 pm »
Interesting fact that it was re-classified as a Cannabaceae - learn something new on here everyday.  And it is not always on making a bow!

Back to the question - as slim said it is a "white wood"  and you just need to remove the bark and the cambium layer.  If cut in the winter the cambium layer will be a bit hard to get off.  It is very porous and you can scrape it off carefully with a drawknife.  If your stave came without bark I would assume it was already removed and you are ready to go.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline alcot

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 07:24:44 pm »
It had the bark on. I started picking and scratchin at it and before I knew it the wood was flying. Actually as I was scraping the last bit of bark stain off I noticed a little yellowish layer under the white and may aim for that after I am finished drawing outlines on it. I'm gonna love this hobby, and will be sure to save the shavings.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 11:36:24 pm »
Oh and welcome to the forums! Good luck with that hackberry.
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline smoke

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 10:25:36 am »
Hackberry is really good stuff.  I would suggest that after you floor tiller the bow, you heat temper it.  I'd also temper it again when you have it at or close to final tiller.  This process really eliminates string follow.  Good luck!