Author Topic: Flint And steel  (Read 7403 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Flint And steel
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 02:42:00 pm »
Cool Thread...

I'm working on assembling a Fire Bow Kit and subsequent Fire(here's hoping)...
After that I'll move to Flint N Steel...
Then maybe Fire Piston.

Good Luck!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 11:30:52 pm »
If you get bored building fires with char cloth (easy peasy) try some milkweed ovum, I rip them in half and use both pcs, gives ya a little more surface to catch spark, they work real well just alot smaller edge to catch sparks. Bob

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 03:23:05 am »
Listen to Bob, I witnessed him on several occasions start a fire using several tinder and methods, mushrooms, milkweed, plant fiber...Bob had a fire going with a bow drill in oh about 4 seconds and Im not sure if I remember correctly I think the spindle was some kind of weed.. I have a few files I can use but don't have a torch!  I want to pound it out and wrap it around like they do..  That is a very nice bead work in that picture Tipi.. Good luck with your endeavor!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 08:34:35 pm »
Thanks for the complements on the bag Russ. I make a lot of plains Indian stuff, so my bows are pretty simple little stick bows. I am constantly amazed at the talent of the members of this group when it come to making really nice bows, arrows, points, etc. When someone throws up a message that I can contribute to, I jump at the chance.
I haven't tried the milkweed yet, but we are half way to summer. That gives me a project to look forward to. Bob, do you use the pod after it has already opened?  Curtis

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 06:14:27 pm »
Curtis, now is an excellent time of yr to gather milkweed ovum, Usually by this time pods are cracked open an seeds an fluff is dispersed. If not just open them a make sure you spread seeds for next yrs crop, I just put the ovums in a little tin an keep them dry. Alot of pods naturally turn up side down so ovum is all ready dry. Let me know how ya make out. Bob

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 08:06:58 pm »
Bob; when you say ovum, you mean ovum! For some reason, I had the seed fluff in mind. I need to read more closely. You are right, I have those on hand right now!. I am excited to get to try a few.  Curtis

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 11:34:58 pm »
Curtis, the fluff is flammable but not with a spark, not hot enough, tear the ovum in two an catch spark on the thin edge. ;D :o Bob

Offline chamookman

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 04:49:24 am »
Bob - You wouldn't happen to have some pics would You ? I know the pod & fluff and would like to try this. Thanks - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 10:49:43 am »
Bob, here is a picture of just ovum removed from pods, the one in left corner is ripped in 2 an ready to be held on flint an try an catch a spark on thin edge. Second poor picture is how I hold them on flint, be patient in trying to catch spark on thin edge. You know how it is, If alone catchs spark on first try ;D, if giving a demo for 30 people takes thirty strikes to catch spark :( Have fun, Bob

Offline chamookman

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 11:17:24 am »
Thank You Sir ! Now I see - lots of Milk Weed around My area. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 07:54:37 pm »
Listen to Bob, I witnessed him on several occasions start a fire using several tinder and methods, mushrooms, milkweed, plant fiber...Bob had a fire going with a bow drill in oh about 4 seconds and Im not sure if I remember correctly I think the spindle was some kind of weed.. I have a few files I can use but don't have a torch!  I want to pound it out and wrap it around like they do..  That is a very nice bead work in that picture Tipi.. Good luck with your endeavor!

Russ
Just take a long pipe(METAL), a hair dryer, and a big campfire of hardwood(Oak works well). Throw file into embers, then hook hair dryer to pipe, jam into coals around file, and turn on.
Try not to blow the coals around.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 08:46:31 pm »

Russ
Just take a long pipe(METAL), a hair dryer, and a big campfire of hardwood(Oak works well). Throw file into embers, then hook hair dryer to pipe, jam into coals around file, and turn on.
Try not to blow the coals around.

Are you backpacking a Honda Generator with you also? ???
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 12:13:53 am »

Squirrelslinger;
Like Kevin said you need magnesium.  But you can mix the two together.  But you are not going to put it out!  You need an extinguisher with a chemical called "Purple K".  And that has a hard time putting it out.  It will melt steel! :o :o  It is basically thermite.  You need aluminum powder, and magnesium powder.  You used to be able to buy aluminum powder at the bigger art supply stores, for making your own silver paint.  As for cheating with the tinder bundle, you just put a little pinch or two of 0000 steel wool, in it, and you have instant fire. ::)  An instant very HOT fire! :P  It will ignite very readily with just a spark!. ;)