Author Topic: Email Attack  (Read 1169 times)

Offline bow101

Email Attack
« on: January 21, 2014, 05:07:21 pm »

Hey guys,
Just wanted to touch base with ya 'bout my Yahoo email been hacked.  I use various emails and for good reason.  I use Yahoo for my junk inquires and email account for joining forums etc.

At any rate Yahoo sent me an email stating that my email had been hacked, WHY..?  Well my fault because I did not have a good password. :o >:( :o >:(
  Yahoo stated the hack was from the Ukraine.  I noticed the big hack on Target was done in Russia, over 70 million customers been compromised. ....
I had my resume on the the Yahoo email, although no sensitive stuff like financial bank...etc....etc...

Lesson learned:   Use a good strong password   ;)

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline skarhand

Re: Email Attack
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 05:23:45 pm »
Here is a very good cartoon about strong passwords:

I have quit using short complicated passwords...long and simple are much stronger.

Plus if you get nailed with a keystroke logger, H@ppYBiR7hd@y stands out way more than "fish apple duck wheelchair".
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:28:15 pm by skarhand »

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 06:01:24 pm »
+1. It's pretty much just length that makes a password strong, like the cartoon says, it just takes too long to crack. It's another story if you manage to get some malicious software or similar on your pc that gains access to your passwords. Then it's not going to matter if it's 1000 characters long.  AVG antivirus is actually pretty good these days, it has improved a lot... if you're looking for something to use.

The other thing is, the word hacking is very overused, 99% of hacking is just keylogging or a virus or something or even people just giving our their passwords for whatever reason and then becoming compromised. If someone has the ability to actually hack something, they're going to be more concerned with the big targets, eg. government/large corporations/banks.

Also, make sure that email actually was from yahoo, sometimes people gain access that way. By claiming you've been "hacked" and then asking you to change your password or something, but then you get redirected to a slightly different web address.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 08:10:11 pm »
+1 on verifying it was Yahoo that sent the email.
Length and not using public info in the password works well.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"