Author Topic: no cabinet scraper  (Read 5672 times)

Online JW_Halverson

Re: no cabinet scraper
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 09:37:17 pm »
I'm always interested in other peoples opion but I just don't understand why people use knives!? You have a thin easily damged/turned edge on a knife? Unless you sharpen it in a funky way!

12 years of abusing a Buck 110 and I have sharpened it twice.  Mind you, all that side force on it has loosened up the hinge and I have had to set it on a anvil and give it a few peens to sighten up.  Best use of a Buck knife I have ever found.  All other knives I have loved have been carbon steel and not stainless.

How thick is the rolled edge on a scraper?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline unkieford

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 09:56:01 pm »
I got mine at Woodworker's source. You can also order them from Amazon. I have never seen one in a big-box or hardware store.
In an emergency, you could use an old putty knife, but it is so soft, any burr you put on the edge will roll off in a few minutes.

---Ford---

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 10:28:37 pm »
I made one from an old circular saw blade and I love it.  I cut out a rectangle, smoothed out the edges, and then rolled a bur.  That was several years ago and I haven't had to touch it since.  I use it all the time.  I have a cabinet scraper and I never use it.   

I can relate to that Clint ...but , How did you cut the saw blade?  I've got some old blades but I'm not sure how to cut them into a rectangle?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 10:30:20 pm »
I gave them to a buddy of mine and asked him to cut them out in the maintenance shop at his work  ;D   I think he used a cut off wheel on a grinder
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 11:07:34 pm »
Bill,a dremel tool with a fiber reinforced wheel cuts steel pretty good.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 11:16:33 pm »
Thanks Steve,
I've got a dermel..............I just need to get out and get me a wheel ..
Thanks for the info.
I'll give it a try.....maybe at Moon Tree I can bring three or four old blades and everyone can go away with a scraper.  :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline TheCelticArcher

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 11:21:46 pm »
I got a dermle and a few old saw blades laying around looks like I could make my own.