Author Topic: Experimental Primitive Field Points  (Read 4455 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Experimental Primitive Field Points
« on: January 20, 2014, 09:16:48 pm »
I'm trying a weird method of attaching wood field points to my cane shafts.  Basically I just whittle it out so the point doesn't quite fit into the shaft.  Then I slice up to get those slivers out.  I slide the point in the shaft and sinew wrap over all of it.  Only thing I'm concerned about is the strength of the narrow part.  I think if it hits at a weird angle it may just snap.  But that's what these experiment are for!

This picture basically shows the progression of the process.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Experimental Primitive Field Points
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 10:53:39 pm »
Huh, well that is simply straight forward. 

Now post pics of them after a few shots!  I am curious to see how they hold up!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 11:17:16 pm »
I'm going stump shooting tomorrow so I'll be sure to update this thread with how they held up.  Also going to put some heat on the wood as it is still green and I figure a little heat will make it harder.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:46:13 am »
I think you might wrap them on a bit more. Try to get the tapper as far into the shaft as possible. I'd only shoot rotten stumps to start with.  ;) dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 09:11:39 am »
Yep, a lot more sinew. I'd build up the weak area with sinew.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 09:50:14 am »
That point wood will get brittle as it dries more. Im guessing you get one shot each Tim. Good thought all the same, keep thinking.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 10:14:57 am »
Tim
Why not splice the same as for a flint tip ?
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 10:33:23 am »
That point wood will get brittle as it dries more. Im guessing you get one shot each Tim. Good thought all the same, keep thinking.

+1 . Bone and antler work quite well.............. the bone is quick and easy and cheap. Just did one on an experimental Salt cedar shaft.  The first is deer legbone (just rough shaped a spliter with a couple of notches . very crude and quick 5min. to shape 5 to haft with pich glue and art sinew) the last is Antler. Offcut from some project . It's been used extensively as you can see by the dirt. The other has just been into the bag in the shop as I only just made it  shot about40 times into a feedbag stuffed with grocery bags. No problems so far. These are great targets BTW. Practically free, stop the arrows form heavy bows , and withdraw takes two fingers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:05:11 pm by lostarrow »

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 02:08:55 pm »
 Being a carnivore, myself, A good source of bone is off of last nights supper. I prefer rib roasts , as the meat just falls from the bone( and it's yummy!) ;)

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 03:10:34 pm »
Aight thanks for the advice guys!  I like the bone idea. 

My tips didn't break first shot but when I hit a tree of course one broke.  Lost the other arrow.  They seem to do fine shooting into dirt but anything more solid is iffy.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 09:37:18 pm »
Tim, I think if your wood inserts had shoulders like modern screw in metal field points they would be less likely to break.  Even a metal insert designed like yours would bent terribly on non center impacts.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 07:24:38 pm »
i like your way of thinking and the concept. it has potential, what if you whittled the point down to the size of the shaft then flare it out with the legs your using. Will make it wider at the point where it ties onto the shaft. But might make it stronger than your current design. Just an idea, im probably gonna play around with this concept a little myself. Just for the fun of it. Also what kinda wood are you working with?
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 08:01:27 pm »
i like your way of thinking and the concept. it has potential, what if you whittled the point down to the size of the shaft then flare it out with the legs your using. Will make it wider at the point where it ties onto the shaft. But might make it stronger than your current design. Just an idea, im probably gonna play around with this concept a little myself. Just for the fun of it. Also what kinda wood are you working with?
  I'm just using whatever.  I think I used some sweet gum and oak.  I think I might try shortening the tip way down and getting that transition into the shaft a lot cleaner.  It's just hard to whittle out that clean transition.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 11:45:59 pm »
Try a little Osage, is really stout for a for shaft/point
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 12:30:02 am »
Try a little Osage, is really stout for a for shaft/point
Ya... I'll just go chop one of those down now  >:D  I'm afraid I have no access to such a tree.