Author Topic: advice for rawhide take down sleeve  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

advice for rawhide take down sleeve
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:06:04 pm »
I haven't built anything in a while so I brought a couple of roughed out osage billets back to school with me. I'm wanting to try a rawhide sleeve to make it a takedown.  I'm going to aim for 55lbs at 26". I'm thinking to make it hold a little better by putting bevels on the two pieces and pegging them together. Because of working around classes , it'll probably take me a while to get it done. Anybody have any advice on making it work?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Blaflair2

Re: advice for rawhide take down sleeve
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 12:02:01 am »
I brought this up when I made my recurve outta two billets. Rawhide wouldn't be strong enough I was told several times. Lol. I ended up just joining the pieces in a piece of pipe. It doesn't come apart, but it'd probly be together most of the time m e who so I don care. I would def cut them to fit together. It helps

|  /|
| / |
|/  |  u get the idea
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:22:34 pm »
That cut is exactly what I was thinking, and running a peg through the center to help it hold together. I was afraid that the rawhide would be a little weak. Do you think it would hold up if I wrapped it with some sort of cordage? I'm thinking let the rawhide draw then wrap with sinew cordage. Then fill it with loose sinew strands to make it smooth. It will probably make for a fat handle but if I start it out as narrow and deep then it might feel about right by the time it is done. Any thoughts?

Kyle

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:31:44 pm »
I dunno, I went with the advice I got earlier. If ur not worried about taking it down I'd just do it in a pipe
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 03:54:56 pm »
I'm wondering if using a piece of rawhide cut from the tail of a cow, so it was all one piece, would work any better. Maybe 2 or 3 layers. I would still want to do a test piece and test it to failure though.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:55:40 pm »
Rawhide is doable but bulky IMO. It's always a give and take. Keep it simple and keep it strong.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 11:20:24 pm »
i saw on another site that a fellow made a rawhide take down socket. He wrapped the deer rawhide around the handle twice while wet, and wrapped it with some kinda cheap cord. After it dried he removed the cord and wrapped/glued on linen cord. looked like it worked just fine. plan on doing one myself soon as my billets season.
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on