Author Topic: Beeswax as a pipe finish?  (Read 3813 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Beeswax as a pipe finish?
« on: January 20, 2014, 10:59:53 am »
I am planning to make another pipe soon and I am trying to figure out if beeswax alone would be a good finish or if I should modify it or add other finishes to it. I've seen a bow on Echo Archery that had linseed and tung oil with shellac and coats of beeswax in between. I don't think I would use the shellac but what would be a good way to incorperate beeswax into a finish for a pipe. Oh and I would like not to die of fumes if that's a possibility.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
Re: Beeswax as a pipe finish?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 12:10:00 pm »
is the pipe wood or stone. Olive oil for stone.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 03:05:52 pm »
The easiest way to seal with beeswax is to heat the wood then apply the beeswax like a crayon.  Then heat the wood/wax and buff.  Work it warm until the excess is gone.  Then buff again with a clean cloth when cooled until it doesn't feel sticky.

I never mix my beeswax with anything and never put a different finish above or below it.  Once beeswax, always beeswax.

Some guys will mix up a batch of hot beeswax + linseed oil.  I've never tried that but it seems to work well for furniture.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 03:50:48 pm »
Beeswax is the only finish I use on my pipes.  I use the same technique as Patrick.  Josh

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 03:58:16 pm »
Great! then i think i should be able to finish my pipe that ill be making, I have a nice piece of osage that i cant use for a bow because there is a huge knot that spans the width of the wood so i think it will make a fine pipe and some pipe stems
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)