Author Topic: First hophornbeam bow  (Read 12477 times)

Offline H Rhodes

First hophornbeam bow
« on: January 18, 2014, 10:07:37 pm »
I haven't posted one in a while, so here goes.  This is my first attempt at eastern hophornbeam, which is sort of a rare bow wood in my neck of the woods.  I split this stave from a eight inch diameter tree that I cut down last year.  I split this stave and roughed out the outline when it was pretty green, so I painted the back and ends with some old left over grey paint to keep it from checking.  This proved to be a mistake, since it stuck in the little grooves and valleys in the back of the bow.  I started to try and sand it all off, but then started to like the textured look of it.  I ended up staining over the remnants of painted areas and ended up with a pretty cool camo effect.   
  The bow is 66" tip to tip and 1 1/4" wide at the fades tapering to 1/2" tips.  I wanted to get to know the properties of HHB on this first attempt, so I didn't heat treat it.  I did steam a slight flip to the tips long before tillering the bow, but it hasn't seen a caul.  I didn't use scales or a tillering tree this time and tillered strictly by eye and feel.  I am truly impressed with hophornbeam as a bow wood.  I see why all you guys from further north are so impressed with it.  This bow came in in the mid forties and will cast a 600 grain arrow around a 150 yards.  It is accurate, sweet on release, and took very little set.  This stave had a big knot near the handle, which worried me at first.  No problems through a couple hundred shots.  HHB or ironwood is definately my number two bow wood and will rival osage in how narrow a stave can be for a hunting weight bow.  I am liking this one.     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline H Rhodes

Re: First hophornbeam bow
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 10:10:10 pm »
A couple more pics...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:44:41 pm by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 10:16:32 pm »
Nice looking bow like the full draw pic.  I've never worked HHB but it's on the list.
Again real nice bow.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 10:22:09 pm »
Nice looking bow!   

Danzn Bar, you should have some HHB in your area.  Its some good bow wood. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 10:26:02 pm »
Yeah, OO I think I've got some on my place just never looked real hard.  I will this spring and cut one if I find a good one.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 10:30:08 pm »
Good to see ya post a bow again Howard, looks great too with a nice tiller. I'm a up north yank and would you believe I've never made a hhb bow yet, whats wrong with me? Looks like that wood worked out real well for you, make a good hunting bow I bet.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 10:35:02 pm »
Thanks guys.  I can see many more bows from hophornbeam in my future.  I will send you a piece of this stuff Greg.  It would be cool to see what you created from it.  It is beautiful wood.  Someone who is more into finishing work, like yourself,  could really make a looker out of it.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 10:42:43 pm »
NICE! Great job!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 10:58:40 pm »
Great job man.  The paint share turned out to be a pleasant mistake looks great.

Offline Postman

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 11:33:59 pm »
Looks like a great hunter, I like how the stain turned out. Cool FD pic, HH
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 11:36:42 pm »
Thanks Arrowind and IdahoMatt.   Thanks Postman.   Yeah, the stain over paint worked out okay.  I sealed it with a little spray urethane over that.  Sanding and finishing has never been my strong suit.   Once I get them shooting, all I think of is getting on to the next one.   
   I plan on trying some other designs with hophornbeam.  I can see that with some tweaking, a really top notch bow is possible from this bow wood.  This one shoots good without having had any reflex induced or heat treating.  I can't wait to see how the next one turns out.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 12:34:57 am »
Very nice - I need to find me some of that stuff.  I like the stain over paint look too.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 01:09:25 am »
  Really nice tiller, really nice...Love the front profile on that one especially the tips, it's gotta be a screamer  8)
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 06:12:35 am »
Thanks Mitch.  Thanks Donald.  It has turned out to be one of my better performing bows.  I have a couple more staves that both look better than this one did from the other half of the same tree.  I am anxious to see how they do with a little reflexing and heat treating.  HHB is holding way up on my list of favorite bow woods.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 08:48:42 am »
Nicely done, HR.  One of my very fist bows was with HHB.  It is a fine wood.  I also have a bow that Pappy built of HHB.  I like how you used your instincts to put it all together.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI