Author Topic: Tillering Check and a couple of questions - continued....  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Tillering Check and a couple of questions.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 01:35:59 pm »
  It looks pretty good to me, I think the set the right limb is taking is about 1/3 the way out from the fades, just inside this area closer to the fades is just a tad stiff.

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 03:20:25 pm »
   Just out of curiosity how much does your bow weigh, is it somewhere between 19 and 20 oz?

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 04:59:40 pm »
I think I will take your advice Chris and give it a good toasting.  Probably have to let it sit a week or so before trying to bend it again (I hate waiting).  Thanks!

Badger - I have no idea what it weighs right now - the tips are still pretty bulky and I have not shaped the handle area at all - it "feels" fairly heavy still.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 07:47:00 pm »
I went ahead and toasted it - and straightened the limbs back out while doing so.  Will let it sit for a few days to rehydrate some before bending again (have a few others to work on while I wait  ;D).  Still not sure if I will add any sinew or not.  Started working on some back sinew while I was waiting for the belly to toast.  We will see how it holds up without.  Thanks again for the advice.

Mitch

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 11:55:03 pm »
Looking real good.  I think you'll be glad you did the heat treatment even though the waiting to go back to work on it is frustrating, should come out with a better resting profile from less set when done. You seem really tuned into the tillering process, this bow is gonna be a nice one.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline policetac

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 04:02:02 am »
I really like the use of the graph during your build.
I often forget how much additional information is available using this tool.
I'm just a beginner, but it looks like a very nice bow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 07:00:14 am »
Looking good,little stiff mid outer on the right limb looks like to me,left limb look good. Set happens with wood bow ,the key is for it not to be excessive and looks like you are doing a fine job managing that. Hackberry is a good bow wood,light and pretty strong but it can go away fast, so slow and easy as you have been doing is the way to go. :) tempering will help for sure. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 08:29:32 am »
Looking top shelf Mitch.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 12:21:29 pm »
Man, I like how neat and organized your shop is.  And that ring stand?  Awesome.  Looks like it is going very well!
1’—>1’

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 07:11:21 pm »
Thanks guys - will give it a few days rest and then try and tiller it out. 

Parnell - Usually my shop is pretty messy & cluttered - doesn't look too bad in that picture though!  The ring stand is an old one from my chemistry lab at school - works pretty well for holding up the heat gun.  Got the idea from Pearl  - otherwise I would have been standing there holding it for 2 hours!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 08:39:30 pm »
Boy it's look'n good.  Really like the way you did your tips.  I'm assuming there going to be static unless I missed where you mention it earlier.
Again it looks good, I can't wait for more myself.  :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 05:02:47 pm »
Ok I waited for 5 days - decided to continue on.  Had to start with the long string again (flat against the handle) and continued to tiller.  Currently at 5" brace.  Pulling 40# at 18".  (goal is 45-50 @27")  Pics are at the 5" brace, pulled to 18", and then the unbraced profile right after unbracing.  The last picture is me screwing around with the picture viewer on my computer.

Here is what I am thinking...limbs seem to be bending pretty evenly - still look stiff in the outer 1/3.  My concern is that the limbs are getting pretty thin in the area approaching the curve.  I am afraid to thin them much more at the current draw length.  I haven't done a static recurve before - will that area start to bend more as I increase draw length?  Or do I need to just remove some wood?  The tips are still thick - I have not reduced them at all so maybe that is just messing with my mind.

I am thinking to remove wood evenly along the length of each limb and getting it bending some more and see what it looks like at a little longer draw.  Trying to go slow to keep set minimal (the toasting helped)

What you think?

Thanks

Mitch

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Tillering Check and a couple of questions - continued....
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 05:08:25 pm »
It is coming along nicely! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 06:41:12 am »
How wide are you just before the bend of the statics and into the statics? I always hear Mike in my ear saying thinner, thinner you wuss.
I find its handy to really go over all of the limbs focusing on limb thickness, only takes a tiny amount more thickness to really show up stiff in shorter working limbs.
Looks great.  8)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 09:56:07 am »
Don't be afraid to get those limbs bending all the way to the static, or just short so you don't lose any bend. Your circle shows exactly where you need to work. If you don't get the whole thing working you will take set right off the fades, that's the worse spot to take it IMHO.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.