Author Topic: "Black Maple" Bow  (Read 7188 times)

Offline Arrowind

"Black Maple" Bow
« on: January 18, 2014, 07:37:01 pm »
My Mother and Father in law's friends are from Canada and they come down to AZ every year during the winter.  They come to our house for Thanksgiving usually.  Anyway last time they were here I showed them some of my bows.  The guy used to do a lot of woodworking and was very interested in my bows and very interested in the process.  He came over one day and I showed him the process and gave him a blank.  I referred him to this site as well as the TBB books.  He set off to make a bow (they were headed back home). 

Anyway they have been in the process of moving and he never really got around to working on his bow.  Then he called and offered to give me a planar in exchange for a bow.  Of course I agreed. 

Here's what I came up with.   

Maple Backed Black Walnut (I glued in a bit of reflex and it kept about 50% or so of it.
Tooled Leather Handle
42#@28"
66"NTN
18oz
tips are 3/8"

I just finished it up yesterday and will be giving it to him tomorrow.  Hope he likes it.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:10:04 am by Arrowind »
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

Re: "Black Maple" Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 07:37:37 pm »
More pics
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 07:44:32 pm »
Really like that one ....cool grip and like the wood combo.  :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 08:32:16 pm »
Exceptionally nice bow Arrowind! Cool detailed leather work and the wood combos along with the workmanship really make this a stand out bow. He ought to love that one.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 08:37:03 pm »
I think he's going to hate it! You should send it to me instead.  >:D You make great bows and I always look forward to seeing your artistic touch. Great work!

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 08:41:01 pm »
That is some great craftsmanship right there..beautiful work and awesome pics!just love that handle detail-Hammertime

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 08:47:58 pm »
We need to get some staves in your hands, bro. I think the results would be magic!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 09:18:58 pm »
DBar - Thanks! 

Badly Bent -  Thanks man! I feel like I barely cut the umbilical cord...now I have to give it away.  :laugh:

Weylin - Thanks dude! I really appreciate it.  I have a piece of juniper in the garage that's been sitting there for almost 2 years.  One of my goals this year is to make a bow from a stave.  I plan to cut several this more this time so I can start building up a stash. Thanks again bro.

Hammertime - Thanks!!!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 10:06:46 pm »
Great bow all around.  I love the contrast and all of the clean workmanship.

Don Case

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 10:20:33 pm »
The Maple leaves are a nice touch :D :D

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 10:21:49 pm »
Awesome craftsmanship.  Love your finishing work.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 10:50:52 pm »
IdahoMatt - thanks! i spent a lot of time on the finish.  I really want this to be something special for him.  he is so excited about it I don't want it to be a let down.  Talk about pressure...I'm a bit nervous but I think it should go ok. If not I'll keep it.   ;D

Don C - Thanks!  I tried to mimic the Canadian Maple Leaf.  Since he is from and lives in Canada and the bow is half maple.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I'm hoping it will be one more thing that will make this one unique and personalized for the recipient.   

hrhodes - thanks!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 11:00:31 pm »
If he doesn't like it I would keep it too.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 11:20:14 pm »
Oh Canada indeed! thats a knock out
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 12:02:37 am »
Nice attention to detail on that one. I especially like the handle.