Author Topic: Twisty cores?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Twisty cores?
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:46:39 pm »
Well blood wood for me never wants to stay straight. It always twists like a barbers pole right off the first cut. But I always wanted to try it as a core, as it seems most everyone else uses it as a core (in english longbows). I ripped some out recently, it is a bit twisted but not absolutely horrid. I mean, it ain't ideal either though. But I was wondering what a twisty core might do to a bow once it is glued up and tillered out? I am thinking of using it in a triliam english longbow as a core, maybe 5/16" or so thick in the middle, tapered to 1/8" or so maybe at the tips. For the life of me, blood wood does not want to stay straight.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Twisty cores?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 02:52:27 pm »
i would think that once its sandwhiched between to pieces it wouldnt make a difference. but im horrible with glue ups so i wouldnt know anything of use.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 05:08:22 pm »
i would think that once its sandwhiched between to pieces it wouldnt make a difference. but im horrible with glue ups so i wouldnt know anything of use.

Shoot, I'm sure you ain't no worse than me,  :). I'm wondering if the internal stress of gluing up the bow with the core that is wanting to twist will come out during tillering the bow?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 05:09:08 pm »
You might try to straighten it out a bit before glue-up by clamping it to a form and heating it up. I know tropical woods don't manipulate well to heat but it might help some.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:29:37 pm »
You might try to straighten it out a bit before glue-up by clamping it to a form and heating it up. I know tropical woods don't manipulate well to heat but it might help some.

I haven't thought of that yet. That would be nice if it works. I would love to use blood wood as a core, just because it is so pretty. In reality it is dense and oily, it probably sucks performance wise. Maybe I should use it as a belly instead?