Author Topic: Another Ash Question  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Mohawk13

Another Ash Question
« on: January 17, 2014, 01:02:22 am »
This may sound weird, but bear with Me. I just purchased a house and the cellar supports are ash. They are halved and have been holding the center beam up since 1965. I am going to replace them with steel next spring, and was wondering if they would be to dry at 9% to make bows with. Each half is 66" long, straight, and pretty much knot free. There appears to be no gnaw marks on them from bugs, and no rot, as the cellar is dry...Any opinions
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Another Ash Question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 01:36:51 am »
If you are going to replace the supports anyway you might as well try. Study the wood well with your eyes and tools and take it slooooow and steady. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 01:44:44 am »
Thanks Pat. Have been making bows from hickory boards. Feel comfortable enough with shaping and tillering to give it a shot. Have read varying opinions on ash. I now look at every piece of wood as a potential arrow or bow...lol

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 02:08:02 am »
That would be cool to say your bow technically held up a house for close to 5 decades
I like osage

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 07:42:13 am »
Every piece of wood eventually reaches equilibrium moisture content (EMC). The percentage of moisture left in the wood at EMC varies only on the temperature and humidity of the surroundings where the wood is stored. Every piece of wood will reach the same EMC, regardless of species or age. A beam that is 60 years old is not dryer than the wooden floor that was placed three years ago or the bow that you built last year. So if the average temperature and humidity of the cellar dictate an EMC of 9%, it doesn't technically matter how old the wood is, as far as moisture content goes. 9% might be a bit on the low side for ash, but it's easy to move a nearly finished bow to a more humid room to elevate the EMC a bit.
In my opinion ash is a very poor choice of wood to make cellar supports from. Ash degrades very quickly by fungi, insects and bacteria. Ash in itself is a pretty decent bowwood, but I would inspect these beams very carefully for any signs of degradation. Perhaps do a bend test with a small left over piece. Watch for any pinholes, discoloration or crumbly physical appearance.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:02:32 am »
I would do like DarkSoul said and make a small bow,or just a small piece off the stave,do a bend test and if it bends good , and shows no sign of dry rot then go for it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 10:46:42 am »
As long as there is no rot, it should make a fine bow. Keep it wide and flat.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 02:50:05 pm »
 May just be splitting hairs here ,Dark soul . But there is a difference between dry and seasoned. For example : a piece of  wood (any species) that has been subject to variation in RH  for a hundred years, will not be the same as a piece fresh out of the kiln. 

The more wood is subjected to rise and fall  of humidity the less it will  absorb and release  moisture . If it is subject to extreme moisture loss, it will not regain as much in the next humid cycle, thereby becoming drier and drier in a dry climate. The wood floor place three years ago may have a MC of 15% in humid months where as that 60 year old beam may never get back above 8% or drier. You can't turn a raisin into a grape or jerky into steak.  The cells shrink and the chemical compounds that make up wood will change thus preventing the wood from being "rehydrated". I've taken pieces of oak trim out of a 80year old house that were not rotten at all, looked like the day they were put in , but had the consistency of Styrofoam. super light and no structure.

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 03:08:55 pm »
Also, ash makes great arrow shaft material if the grain's straight enough, so when life gives you wood that may not make a great bow (can't hurt to try though!) make arrows with it I say :)
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 02:00:21 am »
al  good advice. Beams have been checked with a meter @9% moisture. It looks like a halved tree. They set on a concrete floor and the house has never flooded. Dehumidifier runs in the summer. Grain appears to be very straight. Looks to have been an 8-10 inch part of the tree. They do some weird stuff when building houses around here, or they did back then. I will keep everyone posted as to when I start the process. May have a stave or two left over....

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 12:23:41 pm »
Not that uncommon 60 years ago. Is it a post, or beam?  Either way it sounds like the makings of a well seasoned piece of wood. If it's a post, it will likely be no good at the end where it was on the concrete for a few inches anyway. If it's a beam , there will likely be nail holes (possibly with nails still in them) every 16" on the top side where the joists were nailed into it . Hopefully you can get something out of it.   I'm hoping  it is the post. A lot less work replacing the post ;)

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 03:48:34 pm »
It is actually a log split in half. The end was placed on a wood pier and has never touched the cement. I will try and post a picture in a bit to try and illustrate what I am dealing with...