Author Topic: Fletching - how long should the feathers be?  (Read 15907 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Fletching - how long should the feathers be?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 08:24:39 am »
If you want to cut back on feather length, add tip weight or add to the helical. The feathers are just a "drag" so the front of the arrow stays ahead of the back, they don't actually guide the arrow. On short feathers I try to keep them as close to the nock as I can and still get my fingers around the string. Not every arrow I have has 4" feathers, but Im getting more and more piled up. Broad head flight is about spine and tip weight, no different than what field tips require.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 08:33:27 am »
Off the subject a bit.... but, adding weight to the nock end of the arrow will stiffen the shafts spine. as adding weight to the point weakens the spine.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Bombadil072

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 03:30:59 pm »
If you want to cut back on feather length, add tip weight or add to the helical....

Ok, so what the heck does "helical" mean in this context? 

I just looked at this and decided the question is silly.  Do you mean increasing the amount of spiral around the shaft that each individual feather has, or by adding a fourth feather?  That feels like it explains my thought process better...

Jerome
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:34:39 pm by Bombadil072 »

Offline Bombadil072

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 03:35:59 pm »
Off the subject a bit.... but, adding weight to the nock end of the arrow will stiffen the shafts spine. as adding weight to the point weakens the spine.

I'm ok with off topic in this case.  Does it literally make the arrow stiffer, or does it simply affect the flight path as if the arrow were stiffer?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 04:32:19 pm »
There are two different types of spine.  True/actual spine of the shaft and dynamic arrow spine which is how the finished arrow acts when shot through a specific bow.  Why do I say specific? because a single arrow will shoot differently from different bows even rated at the same poundage. yade, yade yade, 

Boy I'm getting wordy........   :)

Actually, to answer your question....yes, it effects the flight path of the arrow.  Their is a lot of variables for good arrow flight if you look at it technically.  But lately,  for a 50#-28" draw bow (typical) all I've have been doing is cutting some cane using a 3/8" open wrench as a gage for the big end thickness, making some arrows about 32" lg with 16 penny duplex nail as points and 3 feathers 5" lg for fletching and they have been flying great!!!

You can read all you want about making good arrows but the best way to learn is to make some.  I have made hundreds of arrows some good, some bad.   

Have fun and make some arra's ............... let us know how is going.

Till next time,
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 01:24:57 am »
My question is if you go for a 6 - 6 1/2" fletching, your brace height would have to be higher. That would impede bow performance correct...... ???

not that I've noticed, most of my feathers are on the bow before I draw but they aren't when I loose the string and I don't change brace height for feathers
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 08:45:39 am »
Damnit bub! Quit typing your text inside the brackets when you quote! Keep it up and Im gonna fly out to NoCal and "fix" it myself pal!

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 09:14:17 am »
Just remember about feathers... the longer they are, the taller they are, the further back they are on the shaft and the more they are off-set, the more steerage correction they will provide. Larger feathers should not be a fix for bad arrow light, and I change feather length and profile depending on application. Larger, longer and more off-set (even helical) for hunting with broadheads, and smaller and shorter with less off-set for pure target shooting. Right off-set for RW feathers, and left off-set for LW feathers.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 02:30:18 pm »
Damnit bub! Quit typing your text inside the brackets when you quote! Keep it up and Im gonna fly out to NoCal and "fix" it myself pal!
Rut Roh Raggy!!  I hear the gunships cranking up!  Sorry PD  :laugh:
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN