Author Topic: I was at the big pet store yesterday....  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Easternarcher

I was at the big pet store yesterday....
« on: January 21, 2014, 12:30:25 pm »
and happened to go thru the acquarium section.
They had a few boxes of decorative stone on the bottom shelf. I assume to add character to the fish acquariums etc.
Anyhoo, I decided to dig in and see what these rocks were. I found 2-3 interesting spalls, that had quite smooth faces (silky smooth) where the rock had been broken open. it was kinda rusty brown coloured and not very heavy for a rock that size. don't know where it came from. Wonder if that describes a decent knappable rock...I hate to pay them 1.50 for one rock (sheesh) but I'm curious here.  I decided I don't like trying to knap glass, as I seem to get slivers everywhere.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:43:02 pm by Easternarcher »

Offline lostarrow

Re: I was at the big pet store yesterday....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 02:42:20 pm »
I know the aquarium store I go to has Jasper , but none of it was of Knapping quality. Lots of fractures and inclusions.I'm guessing that was what it was. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in . $1.50 isn't much for an experiment, even if it is a bag of gravel at the end, you will have the experience of what is not desirable in the end. ;)

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 09:03:17 pm »
The pet stores around here occasionally have obsidian, but like glass, you're guaranteed to get cut and make everything you knap around untouchable.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 09:41:25 am »
I just hate getting glass slivers n my socks! Even when I wear boots and long pants over them..Don't know how that happens!