Author Topic: A little bow called "Quasimodo" (44-1/2" ironwood, 70# @ 22")  (Read 9264 times)

Offline dlhamblin

Re: A little bow called "Quasimodo" (44-1/2" ironwood, 70# @ 22")
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2014, 01:45:24 pm »
Hey Rich.................cool bow for someone with major biceps and a primitve heart.  I need to make some special "girly points" for that bow.  Maybe some raw pedernales or hornstone.   Can't wait for you to shoot a stone point through your door.  However, surely there is something else you could shoot at partner.  Thanks for sharing your adventure.  Made my day.

Offline half eye

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 01:51:34 pm »
Jeff, dang it, glad to see ya aint gone belly up or anything like that >:D

Mr. Hamblin, You make it and I'll shoot it.....what's one (well maybe 2) more holes in the shed, got to do some patching anyways. Just in case of a complete pass trough, can "they" trace a stone head? 8)
rich

Offline dlhamblin

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2014, 02:19:00 pm »
The "girly" points I send you for that bow would cause a major patch job on your door.  However, I would like to see those results just for fun.  One of these days I am going to deliver in person.

Offline half eye

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2014, 05:16:29 pm »
If you send them, I'll "send" them, take pics of the autopsy as well >:D
rich

Offline Josh B

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2014, 03:11:37 pm »
Oh my!  That's a mighty midget bow! :o. It obviously gets the job done!  Wow! Josh

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2014, 05:38:39 am »
What a bow!!!

Some questions: what is the string made of? what species is ironwood - carpinus???
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline half eye

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2014, 09:13:17 am »
Thanks Josh, always appreciate your opinion.

Simson: I make all of my strings from artificial sinew (heavily waxed) this bow has 9 strands twisted. I had to google up the science on the tree but it is Ostrya Virginiana. And the said it the same Ostrya Genus that occurs in European areas.

rich

Offline PatM

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2014, 01:26:58 pm »
The European version of our Blue Beech  or American Hornbeam is well known in Europe but I have never seen a single person mention either using or even seeing a piece of European HHB. I wonder why tast is. It is definitely over there since the Ostrya species is far more widespread worldwide than people may think.

Offline simson

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2014, 04:40:18 am »
Thanks Josh, always appreciate your opinion.

Simson: I make all of my strings from artificial sinew (heavily waxed) this bow has 9 strands twisted. I had to google up the science on the tree but it is Ostrya Virginiana. And the said it the same Ostrya Genus that occurs in European areas.

rich

Thanks for research and the info, Rich!

The European version of our Blue Beech  or American Hornbeam is well known in Europe but I have never seen a single person mention either using or even seeing a piece of European HHB. I wonder why tast is. It is definitely over there since the Ostrya species is far more widespread worldwide than people may think.

Pat, I keep my eyes open for ostrya species - just haven't found any in my region. I have tried carpinus with success. In German it is called Hain-Buche (Buche = beech), but has nothing to do with beech. Great bowwood! with lot of character.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Wiley

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2014, 09:36:14 am »
Half Eye I just wanted to say that I admire your work. On this mean little bow and some of your Mollegabets, it doesn't surprise me in the least that you managed to turn that piece of wood into a bow.

Offline half eye

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2014, 10:54:26 am »
Thanks Wiley, but my bows aint very much, they are plain old hunting bows (tools) and show it >:D but I thnk you all the same.

Simson: your welcome, by the way how are the customs duties over there? If they are not terrible maybe I can send you some of the old guy's "ironwood" 8)
rich

Offline simson

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2014, 04:59:11 pm »
Thanks Wiley, but my bows aint very much, they are plain old hunting bows (tools) and show it >:D but I thnk you all the same.

Simson: your welcome, by the way how are the customs duties over there? If they are not terrible maybe I can send you some of the old guy's "ironwood" 8)
rich

Rich, you are too kind. Thanks for your generous offer. But letus save the money - the custom duties are horrible. I asked for that, because i always wanted to participate with the bow trade. But sending a bow or astave over the pond is very expensive.

I'm shure , I will find something similar here in my country - it takes a bit time.
Thanks again!
Simon
Simon
Bavaria, Germany