Author Topic: Match Cord  (Read 2142 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Match Cord
« on: January 14, 2014, 05:24:13 pm »
I did some experimentation the other day with some match cord.  I used palm fibers and it seemed to work very well.  I'm eager to actually use it on my next jaunt into the wilderness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG9UBqLoz0c&list=UU9l4lrfkOEV5iNSju5GxM_g&feature=c4-overview
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline autologus

Re: Match Cord
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 11:22:30 am »
Awesome video, I love your videos and your appreciation for the great outdoors.  I am jealous that I don't have more time to spend in the woods.  We don't have palm trees in Arkansas but most places have Eastern Red Cedar and I am sure you could do a similar thing with ERC cordage you would just have to make more since I suspect they would burn faster than the palm cords.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 07:41:34 pm »
I've tried making cordage from cedar bark but I think I'm doing something wrong because it doesn't seem to turn out very well.  I would imagine you would have to get those cedar fibers broken down real fine for them to hold a coal very well.  Thanks for watching!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:55:43 am »
Very cool,great idea,problem is we don't have palms in TN. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:27:20 pm »
Pappy, it's all about the concept.  I'm sure there's some kind of fine fiber cordage in your woods

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 06:43:23 pm »

The inner fibers of the cedar bark are great for tinder, just rub them between your palms, and they will get fuzzy, and powdery.  You can also use the inside fibers of Cypress bark.  I don't know about the cords, but you could put a handful of the fiber in a can, or coconut and carry an ember in that, maybe that would be a viable method of transporting a coal.  Worth a try. ;)
 ;)

Wayne