Author Topic: Broken Bandsaw  (Read 2987 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Broken Bandsaw
« on: January 14, 2014, 11:45:42 am »
I just snapped the drive shaft off on my band saw   >:(  I was roughing out a bendy handle bow from a very small osage stave.  As I was reducing the limb thickness I heard a pop and it stopped.  I thought I had broken the blade.  When I opened the cabinet the bottom wheel almost fell out.  It snapped the shaft clean in half.  I didn't get it in a bind or anything.  The blade wasn't super sharp but it was still cutting OK.  I can't believe that the shaft is the weak link.  I would have thought the blade would break or the belt would slip before the shaft would snap.  It looks like its cast instead of solid.  This is the second thing that has broke on this saw.  The tensioner shaft and nut stripped out last summer.  I don't think this saw is sturdy enough for what I need.  I'm going to try and replace the shaft and sell it to somebody who does lighter work.  I have been drooling over the Grizzly 14" anniversary saw for a while now but it was hard to justify the cost when my 12" craftsman was getting the job done.  Two broken parts in less than a year is enough to justify the cost now.  If anyone has a link to someplace that sells parts for these saws could you please PM it to me.  Thanks.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Broken Bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 11:50:37 am »
Far as I know Sears is the only place. Thats where i get my parts... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:10:19 pm »
Craftsman tools sure arent what they used to be.  Sears would be the place to get replacement parts.  I too, have been drooling over a nicer (Grizzly) bandsaw.  I have the 10" Craftsman, which is smaller and weaker than yours!
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:21:51 pm »
I just called Grizzly.  The black anniversary models are going away soon.  They are getting their last shipment in March. 

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Broken Band saw
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 01:04:27 pm »
If you like your saw and don't want to spend a lot look on Craig's list. Last time I looked there were several of the older craftsman saws for sale in my area. You might even buy a junker for the parts.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 01:14:25 pm »
I love my 14" Grizzly and they have a very good parts and tech dept.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 01:40:24 pm »
There used to be a guy here in Seymour (not too far down the road from you) that did a bunch of refurbishing work on Sears stuff. I don't know if he's still around or not. He had an amazing collection of obscure parts / junk. I'll run over there tomorrow at lunch and see if he's still there. I can PM you if he is.

Mark

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 02:31:02 pm »
If Craftsman in the US is the same as we get here in Canada , it's quality makes it worse than useless. It makes it genuinely dangerous. I was just saying this to a friend on the weekend whose  router gets stuck in the on position (trigger lock wont disengage) I've used their Mitre saws, planers, routers and other sundry tools and found them all the same (all at various friends ,never mine). I work with these tools professionally, but I'm not being a tool snob . I have a variety of tools in my own shop ( not brand loyal) . I have had the benefit of finding out over the years which tools are worth the money ,when I was working in  various cabinet shops , and factories. There are of course various quality differences in many tools  , but I think for a 14" bandsaw you will find that most are made off shore. Do a quick research on Grizzly and you may find it's no different than Craftex, Toolex ,etc. It may use a different factory for it's higher end stuff. Up here ,the benchmark for quality is a company from Quebec named General. It is heavy duty stuff that you will see in high school and college woodshops because it can take the abuse. However , to compete with the imports that flooded the market ,they produce a  second line that is still called General but the logo is different . It's made from parts manufactured to their specs overseas and inspected and assembled here. Still very good ,but not quite the same fit and finish.

Check out the other saw's if there is a big price difference with the Grizzly,it's likely going to be the same parts just different paint job.

Sounds like you might be putting too much tension on the blade ,as well. When setting up , leave the guide blocks back , get the blade tracking in the center of the tire (tuning by hand at first)  tighten the blade so it's snug and then while running loosen it slowly with the tensioner until it starts to vibrate just a little. then tighten it only enough to stop the vibration. You will find this really has no correspondence to the makings on the tensioner for the blade you are using. Now tighten in the  guide blocks with a scrap of paper in between them and the blade. Support bearings behind the blade should not spin until you apply force to the blade. They are not used for blade tracking , only support during cutting. I always take an old grind stone or whetstone to round the back of the blade while it's running as well. This takes off any burr and lets you cut smoother curves as the back edge wont get hung up in the  saw marks. Using blades with less teeth / inch will give you a smoother cut and be easier on the motor.   

You may already know this , in which case we will chock it up to info for those that may not.
 PS : I've had my off shore 14" bandsaw for over 20 years and used it quite heavily . Had to replace the capacitor  last year ($5)  the casting for the guide blocks was repaired(I don't know how Mom broke it but I'm guessing ,user error :o :-X) One new set of cool blocks about 15 years ago ($15-20 at the time).  Keep the motor and the switch blown out , and clean it often and you should have no problems.

Good luck! Let us know what you buy. I'm sure you'll be posting the baby pics ;D

Offline seabass

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 04:35:30 pm »
call pappy.i have seen him fix his 12 inch craftsman a lot.you know how much his gets used.he might knows some tricks
Middletown,Ohio

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 05:14:38 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys.  I got both pieces of the broken shaft out.  I think I found a replacement online for $20.  It should be a quick fix once I get the part.  I had the blade tracking good and true.  I don't think I had to much tension on it but it is possible.  After I redneck repaired the tensioner last summer it works better than when it was new.  I don't think the new Craftsman tools are near the quality as their older stuff.  A lot of people on here talk highly of the Grizzly so that is probably where I will start looking.  I've heard their customer service is pretty good also.

Offline autologus

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 05:31:56 pm »
The Grizzly is made in Taiwan but they are built very well and everything about them is heavy duty.  I have the 14" that is the same model the 40th anniversary model but green and cream instead of black and special labels.  I really like mine it is very stout and can handle up to a 3/4" blade for re-sawing.  For the price you can't beat it, it will serve you well.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 05:32:45 pm »
Lostarrow nailed it!  Follow this advice with any bandsaw. As a safety note too. let the tool do the work. It's when we get in a hurry and force the tool to work harder than it should is when we get hurt or break something.

Older craftsman tools were made for commercial use and have held up to that reputation. I have a 1936 jointer that is a cast iron base that you can run a cinder block through and feel no vibration. When they changed their customer focus to the home hobby guy people still expected the commercial grade, thus disappointed. Today, craftsman has launched their Dewault line to try and regain their place (took them long enough) and is one of the favored names on the job site.

I'm no advocate for any tool line. I buy tools based on features. Those tools that are easy to set up, clean and maintain are the ones that I buy. I like cutting wood not fiddling around with the tool.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!