Author Topic: BL bow  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Blaflair2

BL bow
« on: January 14, 2014, 01:43:22 pm »
Well this is where I'm at, I was copying a mikeswick bow and had to reflex the handle. It didn't go so well. I steamed for an hr and went to bend and f@$! Me my handle was laying on the floor. Let me know what ya think. I got some work to do now bit it's getting there

Also the last pic is the twist I was talking about pearlie. I think if I took it out before the block is glued on then it'd be easier. But u guys can tell me what ya think
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Blaflair2

Re: BL bow
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 01:47:13 pm »
This is my profile so far. Think I'm gonna shorten the tips a little.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 01:55:16 pm »
build up the handle with leather, it will flex some and not pop off, and obviously it popped of because it is bending in that area
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:56:54 pm »
There was way too much wood in the handle to get a bend and thus the handle split along the growth ring. Sand it smooth, trace the reflex bend on another riser to match the bend and glue it back down. If you think the handle area will flex at all after the tillering is done you might try making your riser from multi layers of thin wood. This will give more than a solid riser.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 02:07:33 pm »
There was way too much wood in the handle to get a bend and thus the handle split along the growth ring. Sand it smooth, trace the reflex bend on another riser to match the bend and glue it back down. If you think the handle area will flex at all after the tillering is done you might try making your riser from multi layers of thin wood. This will give more than a solid riser.

yup
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 02:11:13 pm »
I suck! Lol. Bubbly the riser was all part of the log. Not glued on. I'm gonna skip the reflexing and deflexong. I like the profile so far n e who.

So should I wait to take the twist out?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 02:51:50 pm »
Take the twist now before doing anything else. No need stressing the new handle.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 03:31:53 pm »
Lol. Again pat thanks for the advice and stave. It's really giving me a run for my money. One of my tangs broke on my drawknife trying to cut it all out. It's a beast. I'm trying my best to do it justice

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 08:41:33 pm »
We all have faith in you.  ;)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 08:48:58 pm »
What PatB said on the handle.  Get your twists out and reflex the bow to your liking.  You can trace out the handle like mentioned or what also works for me is to flatten the spot in the handle area (after bending).  Use a belt sander or the like.  Then glue on a new, mating flat riser section. 

Keep at it, you'll get there.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 11:30:17 am »
So I got 95% of the twist out last night and glued on a 1/4" lam. A piece I had left from another project. What ya think?