Author Topic: Static recurves  (Read 8981 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Static recurves
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 11:37:02 pm »
       I really can't say for sure it has advanatges with all bows. I like a lot of early draw weight and then I like the draw weight gain to start leveling off about mid way, this happens when they start to lift off.

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 01:01:46 am »
Wouldn't you want the string to "lift off" early with heavy early draw weight?  In my mind that would mean the string is trying to get back to it's natural resting place quickly and efficiently, thus  casting an arrow harder or furthur while using all of it's stored energy. 

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 01:13:40 am »
   I don't think lift off is the right term as much as the recurves opening up. I don't build that many recurves so consider myself still in the learning stage. I have built about 1/2 dozen this year and feel like I am getting a little better feel for them. The only real interest I have in the recurve is for light arrow flight bows which are shorter than I would normally make a hunting bow. As soon as I get a new chrono I plan to check out the ones I have now and see which performs the best.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 09:45:02 am »
I have not made enough bows to really study this but, my recurve that the string does not come completely come off of is a lot quieter than my recurve with the string coming all the way off the belly. that is with just the bow no quieting accessories. is this universal or is it just the two bows I have?
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 09:52:30 am »
I have not made enough bows to really study this but, my recurve that the string does not come completely come off of is a lot quieter than my recurve with the string coming all the way off the belly. that is with just the bow no quieting accessories. is this universal or is it just the two bows I have?

It makes sense to me that a recurve where the string stays in contact with the curves would be quieter because you wouldn't be getting string slap.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 10:10:16 am »
If it stays in contact your aren't gaining all the benefits. Your only shortening a limb. Gotta get the string off the bow and the statics "opened" up to get that classic recurve shot and feel.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 06:34:55 pm »
       I really can't say for sure it has advanatges with all bows. I like a lot of early draw weight and then I like the draw weight gain to start leveling off about mid way, this happens when they start to lift off.

I agree with you on that, that is why I like the continuous bend recurve with no straight at the nock. The draw weight leveling is continuously and smooth as long as the string is lifting off the limb.

If it stays in contact your aren't gaining all the benefits. Your only shortening a limb. Gotta get the string off the bow and the statics "opened" up to get that classic recurve shot and feel.

Yep that's what I think tooo.

Again this is all just my opinion,  I'm still a rooky at this stuff.
DBar   
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 06:53:14 pm »
It's not the length of the recuves that determines when the string will lift off but rather their angle.  I used to make my recurves long (from 3 to 4 inches to the apex of the bend) but after some testing I found that short recurves (from 2 to 2 1/2 inches to the apex of the bend) performed just as well if not slightly better plus the bow was easier to tiller
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 09:05:36 pm »
I agree that extra non working/usable wood on the tips is added weight and stealing some o the energy being stored when drawing the bow, i was a little curious i anyone else thought it made the bow quieter. i dont know how much energy it is stealing but the trade off of being quieter seems nice especially with added mink fur silencers to the string, its a nice 45# recurve i use for squirlles some times and the added quiet keeps them from darting around to much. now if i could only become a better shot... :laugh:
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 09:42:01 pm »
Here's how I do my statics,  I bend and glue them in.

Heat it into the limb and into an underlay and glue it into a form, it stays very well and wont pull out.

Mark

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 10:01:37 pm »
What is the radius or diameter of the forms curve?
DBar

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 10:15:56 pm »
I just wing and free hand most of my self bows because of all of the inconsistencies natural materials but I will take a few measurements and let you know.  My Gl%$$  bows are different. They are very calculated and repeatable.

Mark

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 10:20:29 pm »
Thanks, I'm not going to copy it I was just wanting to know for reference to the draw & bow length.  I've got other ideas and I'm working on a sinew backed osage static.
Thanks again,
DBar

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 10:38:21 pm »
Np, I don't care  who copies, I've done it. Usually you copy and then improve.....thats how it works.

Mark

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 10:42:22 pm »
I was thinking of cutting mine down to extremely flipped tips. Rather short recurves. I appreciate all the info.
Nothing ventured nothing gained