Author Topic: Static recurves  (Read 8982 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Static recurves
« on: January 14, 2014, 12:12:50 pm »
How long is too long? And is there any benefit between a longer recurve or a shorter recurve(the actual height of the tip from the bend)
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Static recurves
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 12:18:38 pm »
In my mind, as a general rule, when at full draw, I want the string to come off the static.  If too big a curve, it wont.  I am sure someone else will give a better explanation, but that is how I think about it. 

Russ

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:18:52 pm »
I like short, tight statics that match my 27-28" draw. I want the string to completely leave the belly by the time I get to 22-24", or less. Im not sold on long, sweeping statics being beneficial, but Ive never made one that way and probably never will.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:27:19 pm »
  I made two in the past few weeks, a 58" with 14" radius curves and a 56" with 4" radius curves. Both nice bows but I like the 14" curves better and the bow is much faster, on the 56" I may have gotten the limbs a bit too thin as it tends to go off tiller after shooting and then comes back in after resting. I need to get a camera so I can start posting some pics.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 12:38:44 pm »
28" of static limb on a 58" bow Steve? What am I missing man?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 12:46:40 pm »
Well I bent reflex in the handle and the rings popped sheering most of my handle off. Sooooooooo, dunno what to do now. Thanks for the replies.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 01:02:03 pm »
Pearl, I screwed up it is a 7" radius, the dutch oven top I used was 14" diameter. The other radius was about 3".

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 01:12:00 pm »
Simson, u make some of the nicest bows I've seen. That first static I saw before. It still makes me drool. Someday... Someday

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 01:24:16 pm »
my "big" recurves are about 6" static

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 07:31:23 pm »
Very interesting post/topic.  I've been thinking about this issue ever since I started my sinew back recurve.  I'm not sure of the difference/advantages between a continuous bend static curve and one that bends sharp then is straight to the nock.  I feel like the sharp bent ones with a straight to the nock is more of a static bent lever. The longer the lever the smoother the draw would be for the poundage.  Kind'a makes me think about a bent Molley at the lever fades.  ???

I like short, tight statics that match my 27-28" draw. I want the string to completely leave the belly by the time I get to 22-24", or less. Im not sold on long, sweeping statics being beneficial, but Ive never made one that way and probably never will.

I agree with Pearl, but I think as long as the string lifts off of the limb at full draw there is no difference if it lifts 3-4 inches before as long as it lifts.  Also, I think what makes the difference is the angle of the nock in relationship to the limb with respect to the length of bow and the intended draw length.  The bow is only as long as the string is off the limbs a full draw.  If the string doesn't lift from the limb at full draw the rest of the tip dead weight.

After all of this,  I will not finish the tips on a recurve until it is tillered to full draw.  because it may be too long or too much degree of bend where the string won't lift.  I think I will have to rework the tip on the sinew bow I working now I believe it has too much degree of bend.  Live, experience and learn I love it.

I hope this makes since and my thoughts are valid.
DBar

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 07:36:48 pm »
  I like them to start lifting off about 1/2 way into the draw.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 07:50:32 pm »
Tip weight has to be considered if indeed it is truly a static tip. 

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 07:54:27 pm »
  I like them to start lifting off about 1/2 way into the draw.

Badger
What are the advantages to having it lift sooner?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 08:12:59 pm »
Tip weight has to be considered if indeed it is truly a static tip.

huh?