Author Topic: how to proceed?  (Read 2568 times)

Offline echatham

how to proceed?
« on: January 12, 2014, 08:09:13 pm »
almost ready for the long string on this one. but i got a troublesome spot that im not sure what to do with.  its a drying check that runs off the edge.  if it were tillered i would just wrap it and glue it and call it good. but im not sure how to proceed besides just hoping it don't blow.  any suggestions?  its 69" tip to tip and only going to be about 50# right now its 1 3/8" wide for half the limb length.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: how to proceed?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 08:45:41 pm »
The best way to fix that is to not even get that far to start with. That's no good like that. And your right, you cant wrap it now. How much wood is left from that pin knot where it starts to the right edge?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline echatham

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:02:57 pm »
I can reduce the limb width to 1 1/8" and get rid of it.  I think that's my only option.  And its 67" not 69..

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:06:12 pm »
Yup. Get it gone and study it again. Its not a loss. 1 1/8" of osage is plenty.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline echatham

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 10:21:16 pm »
Thats the new plan.  Thanks pearl drums.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 08:21:50 am »
Sounds like a good plan,that has to go for better or worse. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:31:49 am »
I've used crazy glue and clamped in situations like that and it held.  You have to tighten the clamp pretty hard to get the wood to move so you need a good one. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 10:05:15 am »
Every piece of osage that I have used that showed a side crack in the grain failed, good luck with that piece of osage.

Here is an extreme example. this wood showed side cracks in the handle area when I started the bow, no problem, I worked my way through them as I shaped the bow.

I added sinew to the back, the sinew pulled the weak grain structure apart the full length of the bow.

Offline echatham

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 11:00:51 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  Im going to get rid of every bit of the crack and adjust my limb shape accordingly.  Was hoping there was a workaround but i figure there wasnt.  This stave has alot of character anyway so im trying to be conservative on the design.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 11:08:03 am »
Get a chisel started where it wanders off the stave. Tap it with a hammer and let it split where it splits.