Author Topic: My favorite so far (caul pics pg 5)  (Read 15652 times)

Offline dwardo

Re: My favorite so far
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2014, 08:19:27 am »
Very nice chief !  8) Looks screaming fast.

The weight is also perfect. All the bows I have made recently are way to heavy and quickly a chore.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2014, 08:31:06 am »
Thanks again everybody! Its a pleasant bow to shoot. I favored 55-60#bows since I started shooting traditional glass bows in the mid 90"s. But,  after making a few low 40# and up bows, I think I like it! Its easy to shoot 40-50 arrows and not feel a thing, or have bad habits creep in after 15-20 shots. I skinnied these tips right up to aid in the "lower" weight and made a skinny(ish) string for it.

By the way, the shelf area is 2" deep, if anybody wondered.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2014, 09:04:27 am »
That is a real beauty ! I really like it and hope one day I will be at this skill level too ! Did you cut the laminations from your own cured wood or did they come from boards ?

Keep it up its an inspiration !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2014, 09:15:06 am »
Thanks seminolewind! I was given the mesquite by a glass bowyer and the hickory was left over ends from 72" backers I made. Its actually quite easy. Just glue it all together and shape it as one piece.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2014, 09:18:01 am »
Nice ! I was gonna ask you how you prepare the handle portion of the stave and get it flat enough to take the laminations. I am assuming a bench belt sander ?....Are you using TBIII for your laminations? I have a stave waiting on me when I get home and would like to do something similar. Thanks !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2014, 09:42:55 am »
I used all hand tools. A rasp will get the stave flat and ready for glue if you keep it level. Don't let the top and bottom of your stroke round the edges off, keep the surface dead flat. I use my scraper to check for gaps before glue up. Yes, TBIII is what I used.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2014, 09:49:41 am »
Roger that thanks ! Have a good one man !

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline rps3

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2014, 09:50:54 am »
Good one Chris, I like how you made the fades 3 inches long without making them appear too long.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2014, 11:14:54 am »
Thanks Bob. With that deeper handle and slightly abrupt fades they tend to run upward rather than outward, appearing longer. I sure like the sight window created with long fades. It just seems to open your view to the target.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2014, 01:12:08 pm »
You can tell that bow is smooth drawing just looking at the picture! Beautiful piece of work.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2014, 02:15:32 pm »
Yup, that unbraced profile says it all.  Looks like an arrow spittin machine!  I am still trying to turn out that zero set bow.  I think that speaks a lot to the design and tiller when they come right back to where they started.  Very sweet bow. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2014, 02:26:08 pm »
Nice looking bow PD.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2014, 02:50:14 pm »

Yup, that unbraced profile says it all.  Looks like an arrow spittin machine!  I am still trying to turn out that zero set bow.  I think that speaks a lot to the design and tiller when they come right back to where they started.  Very sweet bow. 

Carson I made a new caul 3 bows ago and LOVE it. I have no more than a 1/2" of reflex in the first half of the limb, then it goes right up to 3" to the tips. It works too good man. I didn't change the way I build or tiller bows, the new can have ALL the credit.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2014, 03:02:05 pm »
Beautiful design and execution.  It looks as close to flawless as they'll come.  Impressive, Chris!
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2014, 03:12:38 pm »
Ive chased that profile for 200 bows Stevie!