Author Topic: Is There a Work-Around?  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Ahogfan777

Is There a Work-Around?
« on: January 11, 2014, 03:49:31 pm »
I purchased a bamboo backed hickory long bow stave from 3-Rivers.  On my first attempt on the tree-tiller to begin setting the brace height the bamboo backing has split down from one of the string grooves.  I have put my project on hold until I can figure out what to do.  I thought about trying to fill the crack with super glue, clamp then re-sand but not sure if that would work.  I really don't want to exchange it if I don't have to but wanted to get any other suggestions here before I screw it up.  See pic below.  The split is about a half inch long on the left groove.....thanks J

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Is There a Work-Around?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 05:08:26 pm »
Superglue and clamp, for sure.  That's step one.

Next, round ALL sharp edges.  Sharp transitions like what you have in the nocks allow stresses to accumulate and pop splinters.  Round the edges and you disperse the stresses.

A thread and superglue wrap around the limb just below the nock wouldn't be out of line, either!

Stick with it, beat this stave into submission....gently of course.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 05:28:26 pm »
do round all edges before you start bending, also the tips still look to be around 3/4" wide give or take, I would taper to 1/2" to start and flatten the tip back and glue on a hardwood overlay, if you got to the archive section on Gordons hazelnut build a long he give an excellent tutorial on tip overlays
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 05:29:28 pm »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 05:29:37 pm »
I've had that happen on osage bows.  I made the tips narrower and added a horn overlay.  I also did away with the side notches.  I'm not sure if that will work with the bamboo backing or not.  I've never messed with bamboo backed bows.

Here is an example of the type of nock I was talking about.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 05:30:16 pm »
do round all edges before you start bending, also the tips still look to be around 3/4" wide give or take, I would taper to 1/2" to start and flatten the tip back and glue on a hardwood overlay, if you got to the archive section on Gordons hazelnut build a long he give an excellent tutorial on tip overlays
+1

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 05:33:39 pm »
Clint that will work fine on boo, I've done a 5" glued on reflex on boo, worked great

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 05:47:03 pm »
OO's horn overlays on the tips are some of the best you will see on this website, but don't let that worry you.  Even I can do a horn overlay, not as pretty has his, but serviceable enough.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.