Author Topic: Peacock Fletch  (Read 3270 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Peacock Fletch
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:17:45 pm »
Aight I had to go ahead and fletch me up a peacock arrow.  I just made it tonight so I'll shoot it tomorrow and do a how to video on this fletching if it flies well.  I basically did a two fletch tying at the bottom of the feather and about 3/4 up the feather.  I have a feeling those thing floppy parts of the feather are going to grab a lot of air.

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Peacock Fletch
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:25:47 pm »
I find the thought of floppy parts catching air to be rather disturbing.

But that is a lovely arrow!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 10:37:15 pm »
nice arrow & fly tying material.

Davesea

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 11:09:36 pm »
what if you tie one end onto the arrow, wrap up to nock until you get to the "peacock eye"  then wrap the other end back down the shaft.   Curious to see how the spiral looks, a natural flu flu.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:34:03 pm »
There will be a lot of experimenting with these Dave.  The flu flu idea has crossed my mind.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 01:13:46 am »
Cool!  I would trim it down just a little, but that's me.  It will be interesting to see it fly.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 03:11:30 am »

Now there is a primitive high tech arrow. ;)  An arrow with eyes! :o 8)  Might be a tad noisy. ;)  If it doesn't fly well, you could always, swish it around in the water, with one hand, and have your fish gig, ready in the other...... ::) ;D ;D  Just be sure there aren't any gators near.... :o

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 01:49:06 pm »
I think you will find that the fletching will lay down when shot. Peacock feathers are kinda flimsey.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 02:14:33 pm »
I think you will find that the fletching will lay down when shot. Peacock feathers are kinda flimsey.
I'm shooting a how to video on it... then i got done and shot it and decided I want to go a different route.  Will wrap with thread up to the eye.  Yes, they are very flimsy!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 03:02:45 pm »
I find the thought of floppy parts catching air to be rather disturbing.
     Oh way to go J.W., I just got a sudden vision of Mullet in his kilt! :o :P :P :o

Wayne