Author Topic: Burning arrows?  (Read 4949 times)

Offline jojo

Burning arrows?
« on: February 01, 2014, 01:34:05 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to making my own bows and arrows. I saw someone put what looked like burn marks on the shaft to camo the arrow. Has anyone tried this or is there a link to a buildalong you guys know of.

It seems to me that burning the shaft may temper it and change its spine if done too much. What are your thoughts?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Burning arrows?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 01:50:06 pm »
I use this method for camo in my cane and hardwood shoot arrows. It does temper the shaft and that helps to keep them straight. I never check spine on cane and hardwood shafts except to fine the stiff side which goes against the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jojo

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 10:27:15 pm »
how do you go about burning the shaft? do you use a propane torch or a candle of some sort. I saw some pictures of arrows that look burnt but I did not know how they accomplish this. I was just guessing they used a propane torch for a few seconds.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 12:10:01 am »
I use our kitchen gas stove for straightening shafts. After I straighten one I will start at one end of the shaft and begin heating while rotating the shaft. Now is when I add the color and temper the shaft. As I move down the shaft heating and rotating I heat some areas until it chars then move on. Work like this all the way to the other end. Be careful of steam coming out the other end as you get near. Once the shaft is done lay it flat to cool completely before messing with it. If a crook appears as you are heating straighten after tempering but before it cools then lay it flat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 01:10:05 am »
you must be talking about a set that carson (cmb) posted awhile back. hes the guy i picked it up from. doesnt change the spine at all. i use a small propane tourch to burn 10'' so behind the point and sometimes for cresting.
ill try and find the link.

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline jojo

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 04:52:02 am »
found it

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,40066.msg534686.html#msg534686

Thanks for the link, those are some sweet looking arrows. I have some ash shafts I wanted to try shooting, I might try this method after I straighten them.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 09:26:42 am »
I burned a honeysuckle stave to make a wicked walking stick.
it didn't seem to damage the wood.
just keep the torch moving.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 08:53:46 pm »
I did this with some Port Orford Cedar shafts and it really made them look good. I used a candle and rotated the shaft over the candle just enough to scorch the wood. I made "rings" around the shaft all the way.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline randman

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 05:35:56 am »
Camo arrows may look really cool but I'm still not getting why you would want a "camo" arrow. Why would you want them to dissappear in the woods and grass. I lose enough arrows in normal use in the woods that I tempted to start to spray the butt end with florescent orange paint so I can find 'em.   ;)
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.