Author Topic: Opinions on Jet Bandsaws?  (Read 1916 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Opinions on Jet Bandsaws?
« on: January 29, 2014, 10:41:22 pm »
I found a decent deal on a 14", 1 hp Jet band saw.  Its about 10 years old but is supposed to have had light use.  It was in an old guys home wood shop.  Does anyone have a Jet?  Any opinions on them?  Are parts easily available?  They seem pretty well made and are a bit more expensive than the Grizzly line.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

Re: Opinions on Jet Bandsaws?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 03:16:32 am »
Clint I like jet power tools, you find alot of them in pro cabinet shops, will he let you run something threw it?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 06:47:03 am »
Clint, we use some jet equipment in our weld shop at work, and it seems to be ok.  Can't vouch for their bandsaws though, because I've never used one.  Sanders and bench grinders seem ok.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:08:47 am »
I've got a portable table saw by jet and like it. I haven't used it like a contractor would but it works fine when I use it. My dad's a shop teacher and woodworker who recommended it to me for what it's worth.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 08:06:57 am »
OK.  Thanks guys.  I'm supposed to hear back from him today.  I offered a gun trade with a little extra.  The total value was what he was asking.  He was happy with the offer but had to run it by his wife and her sister first.  He is selling it for them.

Bubby, I'll take a piece of scrap wood and see what it will do.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 03:23:06 am »
We have the same saw, probably about the same age.  Not bad, a little under powered for my liking, and the start capacitor blew while halving a 3" diameter log.  You apparently can make the upgrade the HP with a bolt on motor, but it's a nice saw for what it is.  Plus they're white, something weird about white tools to me :)

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 10:24:15 am »

We have the same saw, probably about the same age.  Not bad, a little under powered for my liking, and the start capacitor blew while halving a 3" diameter log.  You apparently can make the upgrade the HP with a bolt on motor, but it's a nice saw for what it is.  Plus they're white, something weird about white tools to me :)
    Don't feel bad, I blew mine about a year ago. Coarse tooth  3-4 tpi  is all I use  for most of my cutting. Makes the motor work less. Mine lasted about 20 years with some serious use before the capacitor went. It's a  $ 10 dollar fix  so I guess I can't complain ;). Mine isn't a jet , but from what I've seen , they are just like every other 14" bandsaw on the market. Most are all made from the same components , assembled in different places, and painted different colours. If your lucky, the company will have printed their own manuals , otherwise it's the typical translation from Thai,  Chinese etc. Does make for an interesting and amusing read though ;D.
   Set up is everything! It should last a life time if not abused.

P.S. Blow out the switch area often with compressed air , as well as the motor. The fine dust gets in and will eventually  you won't be able to start your saw. A good cleaning is usually all it needs but better to do it as a maintenance, than repair. I've taken apart switch boxes that were packed full of sawdust :o. It's a wonder they didn't start a fire.  Could do well to clean it all up when you get it . You never know how it was used before you got it. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 12:06:25 pm »
We weren't able to make a deal on the jet.  His wife wouldn't let him trade it for a gun  ::)   For the money they were asking it wouldn't be worth buying a used saw.  By the time I paid for gas to go get it, new tires, and blade guides it would probably be equal to a new grizzly.