Author Topic: HHB in trouble?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline DuBois

HHB in trouble?
« on: January 06, 2014, 10:01:30 pm »
Hi folks, HHB 55" t-t
I was trying a new stain I got the idea from Turtle (steel wool in vinegar with coffee grounds) and I thought I would put it on at floor tiller stage to see what it looked like.
As I scraped the belly free of the stain it left behind this  :o I can't feel it with fingertips at all. It's about 6" from fade on lower limb.
In the pic it is pulling 35# at only 3" so do you think it will tiller out?
I think the spot is where I heat corrected, or at least tried to.
I plan to just carry on and see but thought I'd get the experts opinions.
BTW; it has 3 layers of sinew in a crowning strip about 3/4" wide.

Thanks, Marco

Offline TacticalFate

Re: HHB in trouble?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 10:19:43 pm »
that looks like a tension break to me from bending it backwards, kinda of how splinters pop up on the belly sometimes when I'm doing recurves..

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 10:26:41 pm »
 IMHO it could be a bit of grain that lifted and split  when planing against the grain, that later was sanded or scraped smooth but not getting rid of the whole problem. Doesn't really look like fretting (too jagged).If you are still in the beginning of tillering ,that would be my guess. Don't put too much stress on it ,until you get that worked out. Essentially you don't have any structure  in the section shown(if it is tear out) ,so too much stress can cause the one piece to slide up over the other. leading to collapse (worst case scenario). Think of it like a hinge.  Only one way to tell if it will cause a problem.  Good luck!

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 05:05:43 am »
UMM interesting.....at first glance it looks like a chrysal but if you haven't bent it.....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:29:43 am »
Did you heat or steam it and reflex it Doobs? Looks like a tear to me. And, if your 35# @ 3" its safe to assume it will be gone.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:38:36 am »
I agree with Pearl, looks like some of the tears I've had at the fades went reflexing near the handle.  Most all of mind have disappeared during tillering, if not their very small and I fill with super glue and move on.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DuBois

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 12:40:10 pm »
Did you heat or steam it and reflex it Doobs? Looks like a tear to me. And, if your 35# @ 3" its safe to assume it will be gone.
Yeah, that's where I tried to get the limbs a bit more even and  reflexed it a bit. I may have not had it hot enough. Worked it a little last night and it is almost gone and still pretty stiff  ;D
Thanks fellas, Marco