Author Topic: Fish tailing arrows  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Tiredtim

Fish tailing arrows
« on: January 04, 2014, 07:33:27 pm »
I really don't know where to post this so I'm going to start here.  I have built a hickory selfbow, not backed and it pulls around #55 at 26 inches.  My arrows are fish tailing a bit.  Any ideas why?  My arrows are spined for 50-55#'s.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Fish tailing arrows
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:48:36 pm »
Tired,
Fished tailing is a result of either a arrow spine issue or it could be a release issue.  Probably a spine issue, with out any other information I would guess it is too stiff of a arrow shaft.  If it is your first bow and arrow combination, yes I would say too stiff,  When I started most of my problem was with stiff arrow shafts, and I have been doing this for about three or four years and for some reason stiff arrows are still an issue with me.  I think I'm pulling more than I really am.   :-[  :)
DBar 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 08:53:33 pm »
It could be a spine problem and also could be a release or nock height problem. I've had arrows do some amazing stunts if the nock height was either too high or too low on the string. Also had problems when the arrow nock was too tight on the serving.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 09:30:32 pm »
2 questions:
what weight point are you using?
how wide is your handle and how is your string alignment along the handle?
arrows spined 55 will not necesarily be right for a 55 lb bow, depending on the above factors.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:41:12 pm »
Thanks guys.  Fred, I never thought about the nock being too tight.  I'll check that.  Arron, I'm using 125 grain field points.  The handle is
1 3/8" at the handle.  I have it tillered pretty good.  Should I take the weight off the sides? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 11:15:00 pm »
Sounds like your arrows are too stiff. A 55# bow that is 1 3/8" wide would probably shoot 45# spined arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 11:23:14 pm »
I've had problems with fish tailing before and it has always been because of uneven fletching.  Show pictures of the arrows, bow and all that good stuff :D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 11:37:49 pm »
If the handle is 1 3/8 then then you are probably close to 11/16 off center when shooting off your hand unless you've cut a shelf. So you need to compensate with the shafts by either leaving them longer or adding heavier points or go to a lighter spine.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline aaron

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 12:08:27 pm »
yes,, I agree your arrows are probably too stiff. you need either a longer shaft, a weaker shaft or a heavier point. I have a computer program that lets me estimate these things and it's telling me that with a 30 inch 50lb. shaft, you'd need a point weight of about 175 to get your shafts where you need them. This would put your finished arrow weight at about 500 grains. Do you have access to various points of different weights?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:29:07 pm by aaron »
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 01:01:09 pm »
Yup... I'd have to agree with the others. Your arrows are likely too stiff. Where are they impacting the target? If they are too stiff, they'll likely be hitting left of point of aim.

The other issue with fishtailing is a crappy release... plucking the string, etc. Only way to resolve... practice, practice, practice. Don't over exaggerate your release... just let your hand relax, let the string slip your fingers and follow through a bit. My hand usually ends up around the bottom of my ear after release.