Author Topic: Flint and steel kit  (Read 8895 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Flint and steel kit
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:25:46 am »

Canvas "wallet", mother of pearl shell button.

Tin for holding the char cloth.

There's the steel.

Twin pockets on the back with leather tie holding them shut.

And here's a chip of Rainy Buttes to make the magic happen!

Voila!  Fire kit in a wallet.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Flint and steel kit
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:27:32 am »
I carry flint and steel in my "crash pack" and in my hunting day pack, along with two to three other firestarting methods.  I tend to go straight to flint and steel, just because there is a certain level of "cool" that goes with it.  Plus, it doesn't hurt to have the skill honed and ready. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 06:16:10 am »
My "kit" rides either in the possibles bag or day pack depending on the mission of the day. Always seem to have a small bag of Maclura Pomifara scraper shavings  and Fritos too  O:). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 08:25:22 am »
My "kit" rides either in the possibles bag or day pack depending on the mission of the day. Always seem to have a small bag of Maclura Pomifara scraper shavings  and Fritos too  O:). Bob

How well do the fritos hold a spark?  ::)
Steve Bennett

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:55:02 am »
Nice kit JW, gotta love a good flint and steel kit, it's the best way to start a fire.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 10:02:32 am »
Nice fire kit, John. I still have the set you sent me a few years back.
 I've heard that Fritos will ignite in a gale. Probably won't ignite from a spark but once you get a ember it will get your fire going.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 10:30:01 am »
Very nice work Jdub!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 02:33:40 pm »
 Cool kit JW, looks like something from a museum. Canvas pouch and the mother of pearl button does it justice...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 10:47:38 pm »
Nice kit
wish I had one that nice !
take care till our paths cross again!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 05:34:29 am »
Turtle - The Fritos won't take a spark, but still burn HOT helping to get things going. That, and even a stale chip or two aren't too bad if You're real hungry. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 10:31:47 pm »
Nice kit JW, I like the looks of that pouch.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 01:09:11 am »

Fritos are saturated in nasty oil, :P and will burn like a smokey candle, and help to ignite larger pieces of wood.  In fact a year ago, a woman in my neck of the woods in Thompson Falls, got lost, and had a pack of Fritos with her, and had heard about using them to start a fire, and she was able to get a nice fire going using the Fritos, and rescue found her in short order.  As for eating them...... in an absolute survival situation only!  I will eat the cambium from tree bark first, and save the Fritos for fire fuel!   ;)

Wayne

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 01:15:40 am »

That be a right fine lookin far kit, it is!  Whut kind o flint do that be with that ere striker?  Yes sir it's shore a beauty!

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 12:53:09 pm »
Lays potato chips burn good, also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 03:48:35 pm »
     Most any of the junk foods that are saturated in nasty type oils, will burn well.  They act as a wick.  Hey J.W. I was sent some pictures by a cousin in an email.  Had one that I thought you would find interesting, if you haven't seen it already.  It is a White Owl.  No, not the cigar! :P  I don't know if it is real or not.  Kinda looks like fake feet. ???  The eyes are not looking in the same direction either.  Hmmm..../@$#%$! hack emailers, and their spam junk!  Why, I "do" believe it is a fake!  Never mind.  Just go have a cigar. :(  Guess I should have looked at this a little better before.  So boy that is some flint and steel....... ::)

Wayne
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:24:12 pm by stickbender »