Author Topic: Found some wood. Need I.D. advice on one please.  (Read 6385 times)

Offline okie64

Re: Found some wood. Need I.D. advice on one please.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 09:28:56 am »
That black cherry will make some great smoking wood.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 10:57:05 am »
Black cherry for sure, they get really big, here is a 24 incher I cut for flintlock stocks.
The trailer is a 5x8 to give you some perspective.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 12:50:20 pm »
Your almost in my backyard, I see that tree all the time but never figured out what it is, I think some of them have small red fruit this time of year
I like free stuff.

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 01:48:40 pm »
Good haul for you Eric, looks like the little trailer has a load on it! Just curious, what do you do to that log to use it for gun stocks? How is the grain pattern in a piece that big? Reason I ask is if it is some pretty grained wood then I may use the limbs for bow staves and try ti cut the big part of the trunk out of the pile and have it milled into lumber. Don't know if I'm gonna be able to get down to it though.
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 01:52:35 pm »
Okie- I never thought about using it to cook with. Thanks for the tip. I will get some for that too!

Newindian- Your north of S.A., so does osage grow readily out that way? I'm just curious where it is here in Texas. I ain't found any yet growing wild.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 03:14:16 pm »
Okie- I never thought about using it to cook with. Thanks for the tip. I will get some for that too!

Newindian- Your north of S.A., so does osage grow readily out that way? I'm just curious where it is here in Texas. I ain't found any yet growing wild.

Yes Sir,
Nice Haul for Sure,  here's hoping that Dogwood is Straight Grained...

Bodark starts around New Waverly - Huntsville and runs North along the I45/75 corridor.
Spreadding north and West as it goes.

I live in Houston, but wood hunt all over.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 06:07:46 pm »
I thought all parts of cherry trees had traces of cyanide except for the flesh of the ripe fruit - Is the wood okay for smoking/cooking? Is the cyanide just in the leaves/pits/bark?  Maybe i'm wrong on this.
I found this: dunno if it is that accurate:
http://chemistry.about.com/b/2008/04/12/cyanide-poisoning-from-apples-peaches-cherries-plums-etc.htm

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 11:58:40 pm »
never heard of that Bubbles. Guess it might do to try it on the in-laws first huh?  ;D Just kidding, I like all my in-laws and would never do that even if I didn't. Thanks for the link though.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2014, 12:11:58 am »
Im sure a little would be fine. Just don't smoke every meal with cherry chips for the next 10 years. :)   I've also heard of the bark being medicinal, but I'm sure, like everything, its all about the dosage.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 12:45:40 am »
I've heard whispers in the area that if you know where to look there is plenty mainly around streams and other water sources , to date I have yet to see any here although I have been pointed out areas, I see some between here and  collage station from the road and have been told there is alot towards Huston
I like free stuff.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 08:12:23 am »
I'm up the road from Newindian and yes, we do have it around, it's just scarce this far west.  Few fence row plantings and some escapees here and there.  East of here toward Bastrop, Granger, an college Station it gets pretty common.  You should have bunches of it close to you.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.