Author Topic: Old Wormy Osage Follow Along Finished!  (Read 28441 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Old Wormy Osage Follow Along
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2014, 01:02:41 pm »
Eric. No doubt you are probably right on this. I listen when someone with your experience is speaking. I am however about a days work away from shooting this thing.  So...I'm gonna give it go. It's gonna end up being in the middle of the limb close to the neutral plane, so I'm betting that it won't be under a lot of stress. Thanks for the pic. I'm ignoring it and all the other peculiarities and finishing up a bow. I think I'll flip the tips on it. 😗
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2014, 02:36:00 pm »
go for it..if nothing else you got something to warm your hands with.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2014, 02:37:32 pm »
Yes Sir!!!

I'm A-Cheerin' Ya On!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2014, 03:18:41 pm »
...So does this mean you do not intend to wrap it or glue it or anything?  You're just going to trim it out and ignore it?  WOW!  :o  That is a little out there!  I think I'd hve to wrap it...

OneBow

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2014, 03:52:05 pm »
Gus and 4dog. Thanks guys!
Onebow...I filled it with CA glue last night. It didn't suck much up so I don't think it goes in much deeper, but I added a bit more couple hours after the first treatment. I don't think I will wrap it. Not sure if that would do much. If it's gonna separate after the ca glue it's probably not gonna be saved with a bandaid on it. I reserve the right to disown the previous statement as crazy talk if I change my mind though.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2014, 03:55:52 pm »
My money is on 5000 shots.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2014, 05:51:39 pm »
Gus and 4dog. Thanks guys!
Onebow...I filled it with CA glue last night. It didn't suck much up so I don't think it goes in much deeper, but I added a bit more couple hours after the first treatment. I don't think I will wrap it. Not sure if that would do much. If it's gonna separate after the ca glue it's probably not gonna be saved with a bandaid on it. I reserve the right to disown the previous statement as crazy talk if I change my mind though.

That makes sense then.  ...and I always reserve that same right to myself as well.   >:D >:D >:D

-  -  -  Oh, and Mr. Pearly is way too adventuresome.  Of course that is probably why he finishes 10 or 20 bows to my 1!

OneBow
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:59:27 pm by Onebowonder »

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2014, 06:10:00 pm »
Lot's of great talent and knowledge galore on this forum.  It was PEARL DRUMS I went to here.  Funny thing is, he had posted his answer as I was PMing him with the question.  Thanks Chris.  I'm just gonna finesse it as best I can and see if I can sneak up on 27 inches.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2014, 07:06:06 pm »
5000 shots...are those hunting or target shots?   lol  >:D
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Bowman

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2014, 05:16:26 pm »
I bet super glue will do a nice job on this cool bow. I use "hot stuff" , very thin  superglue on all cracks in my bows. I use it on a Yew warbow and my osage "choctaw" bow. It works.  :)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2014, 02:07:51 pm »
I bet super glue will do a nice job on this cool bow. I use "hot stuff" , very thin  superglue on all cracks in my bows. I use it on a Yew warbow and my osage "choctaw" bow. It works.  :)

+1

I've tried a Bunch of different CA Glues.
You won't go wrong with Hot Stuff and or Lock Tite.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2014, 03:32:30 pm »
Applied the CA glue twice, sanded it a bit and applied a third time.  It looks worse in the pic than it does in hand.  It actually doesn't look too bad.  I flipped the tips and added 2 inches of reflex.  Keeping them straight would have lessened the strain a bit, but at 66 inches long bending thru the handle, if that pushes it over the edge then it was broken already as far as I'm concerned.  I'll get some time on it this weekend and should get a string on it. :)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2014, 05:24:11 pm »
   Good looking stick Slim, I'm in your corner...Want to see this one a success. You've put a lot of work in this. 
                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2014, 06:05:58 pm »
That puppy is coming along.  I love to see the progress you are doing a great job.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2014, 10:59:09 pm »
 Would love to see tillering pics as you progress...
                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;