Author Topic: Old Wormy Osage Follow Along Finished!  (Read 29225 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Old Wormy Osage Follow Along
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2014, 08:06:02 pm »
Got about 30 minutes on it after work today.  Have it drawn out.  66 inches long, 1 3/8 inches wide.  Just barely had enough room to get that width in a few spots.  It's ready to start taking it down.  One of the things I love about this hobby is the problem solving exercise with most every build, and I have one I'm looking at on this one.  The knots and character don't concern me, but if you look at the two picks you will see where the back ring is wrinkled.  A ripple in the fabric kinda thing.  Might could lite sand it to smooth it out, ignore it, or go down another ring to see if I can eliminate it.  Be interested if any one else has a suggestion.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2014, 09:55:50 pm »
That is  an odd looking wrinkle. What the heck is going on there?  I think I would leave a little extra meat at that location and sand it down a little.  Looks like you have enough width at that spot to do it's share of the bending.   I know what you mean about enjoying the problem solving parts of bow building.  Every one of them has it's own issues to iron out.  I like the big snakey area in the middle.  Looks like it's coming along good.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2014, 10:37:30 pm »
 :o how did I miss this one!  Looks real good Slimbob.  good info.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2014, 10:58:41 pm »
Very interesting. Those benches everyone seems to have look quite good.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2014, 11:12:16 pm »
  I'm no expert but I would be very careful to follow the exact grain around the left side of that knot in your last pic. Never seen wrinkles like that...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2014, 11:37:33 pm »
Your exactly right Donald. The grain gets weird right there with the small pin knot. I'll sleep on the wrinkle.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2014, 12:32:18 pm »
Any chance it grew around something? Like a nail or something?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2014, 01:06:27 pm »
Possible, but I would think it's just an anomaly in the ring associated with the pin knot.  It's been these types of seemingly insignificant little places that cause the most trouble, for me any way.  I think I'll consult a few people on it and get some opinions.  Pretty long and bends thru the handle so I think it'll be ok.  I'll leave it wide thru that area as well...I think.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2014, 01:43:54 pm »
  Slimbob do you have room to chase another ring? Another idea would be to sand that side of the stave with a drum sander just deep enough to see the rings from the side then you should be able to see if the grain is still wavy from a side view. Just an idea...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2014, 02:02:59 pm »
I've pretty much done that.  You cant see any evidence one way or the other.  I can take it down another ring as I have the width to do so.  I'm tilting towards a lite sanding, leaving it a little wide and forgetting about it.  Talked with a guy this morning who said he wouldn't worry about it at all.  I'm pondering....

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2014, 05:04:01 pm »
I have found similar looking wrinkles in osage but they were much smaller than what you have there.  I chase the ring over them carefully and lightly sand it so its smooth around it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2014, 05:56:44 pm »
Thanks Clint.  I sanded it smooth and I think it will be fine.  Left it a little wide around the whole mess and I'm moving on and forgetting it....Till I start bending it that is.   :o  Touched up all the lines on it, redrew the last 6 inches of the tips to straighten them out a bit and broke out the belt sander.  It's a bow blank.  Few problem spots on the belly where width and depth might be a concern, but I've left it a little wide and can narrow it down if I need to.  I'll get it bending on the next session.  I think.
Some prop twist that I usually don't bother with, but it looks like I can untwist and that will line the tips up.  Reflex on one limb and two deflexed kinks on the other that I'll address once it's bending good at floor tiller.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:04:01 pm by SLIMBOB »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2014, 08:10:20 pm »
Its looking great.  I bet whoever left those there would be kicking himself if he could see what you are doing with them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2014, 08:23:05 pm »
I know the guy.  He was a 19 year old kid last time I saw him.  Really nice guy who had a real interest in all this stuff.  From what I've been told he is now making buffalo hide tepees and they are spot on perfect reproductions.  I'll send him some picks when I'm done.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2014, 12:50:08 pm »
Looks like you cleaned it up real nice at the wrinkled grain area Slim. The whole back ring looks nice and smooth in the last picture, shaping up nicely. Keep the pics. coming. I always enjoy seeing how other get it done.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.